Cinnamon and a question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigspoon

Reaction score
Hi

One of my friends suggested putting cinnamon into a brew, anybody tried it?

Also, my first brew is ready, some bottles are good, some not so good. Will they both improve with age?

Thanks

:cheers:

One of my friends suggested putting cinnamon into a brew, anybody tried it?
I've not tired it and probably wouldn't, a bit too up front for me.
Also, my first brew is ready, some bottles are good, some not so good. Will they both improve with age?
They should all be the same, did you do anything different to account for the difference?

The only time I would try cinnamon in a brew which is highly unlikely would be in a dark porter or a stout with roast/choc malt.

BB

I used it in a pale with cardoman and clove, It was alright but a tad overdone. I have also used it in cider :thumb: . If you are doing it it is best putting it in a bit of muslin and put it in the beer when it has fermented then you can sample it and pull out the spices when you think it is ready. :thumb:

I've done a brew with cinnamon before, I put 2 sticks of the stuff in a 23ltr brew and it was :sick:. It was almost as bad as drinking Fosters.

The key is not to over do it that is why the method I described is the safest way. :thumb:

Pumpkin Ales in the states usually have a bit of cinnamon in them along with other pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg etc). I would guess that some spiced Christmas beers include cinnamon too. I don't think you want much though. If I were you I would make a tea or extract some with vodka and then try adding a small amount into a measured sample (say 100ml) to see how it tastes. When you have the dosage as you want it you can add it when you transfer to your keg or bottling bucket.

Remember that you can always add more but you can't take it out so I would start low.

Back