Small Batch All Grain Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatFenBrew

Reaction score
Hi
After 2 hernia ops and generally drinking less I want to.continue all grain brewing but reduce the volumes.
Has anybody got advice about scaling down? I'm thinking half batch quantities say 12 litres? I'm ok with recipe scaling down it's more a question of equipment.
My equipment is an old skool 3 Vessel system all quite large to move. Haven't used a Grainfather type.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thank

I'm considering whether to do some really small batches (1L or less) for doing side-by-side comparisons on different ingredients and processes.
Maybe do them in fruit-preserving jars; and stand them side-by-side in a water bath to ensure the same mash temp.
Anyone done anything like this, and if so any tips?

I've brewed every batch on my kitchen stove, that's 180 batches since 1999. I have a 4-gallon (15-liter) kettle, and I also use a smaller ~8-liter kettle and other kitchen pots on the side when necessary for bigger batches. I've brewed full 22-liter batches a few times boiled 4 kettles and pots at the same time. It works. But usually I am only making 5 to 8 liters at a time. This way I can brew more often (which is fun for me), experiment more, and not end up with more than the 10 cases of beer I already have in my cellar. I ferment in 3-gallon (11-liter) carboys, 3.4-liter pickle jars, or in tall glass vases which I purchased for this use -- ever see those centerpiece vases on tables at wedding receptions? Yeah those. Literally.

49378960328_be033f2c13_o.jpg

Someone on here had made split batch fermenters out of plastic 4litre food storage containers complete with taps and airlocks. Seemed very smart but that only allows for different yeast/dry hop variations not full recipe changes.
Yes I remember that but I couldn't find the post - it's quite an attractive idea, particularly when brewing something a bit off-the-wall for the first time before committing to a full batch of something that turns out to be a bit bleugh athumb..

I'm considering whether to do some really small batches (1L or less) for doing side-by-side comparisons on different ingredients and processes.
Maybe do them in fruit-preserving jars; and stand them side-by-side in a water bath to ensure the same mash temp.
Anyone done anything like this, and if so any tips?

Hmm. Is that not too small.

IME fermentation isn't linear.
A 5litre, 25litre, 250/300litre fermentation will not be the same.

Problem with 1l is that it’s too small to bottle and mature.
Should get two or three 250ml PET bottles though - it can mature in those?
Doesn't even need to be carbed up really - it's only for tasting

- You're probably right though: 5L would probably be more manageable as a minimum size

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back