citra and casscade pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

Brewing this one tomorrow after an overnight mash. Aiming to get 36L.
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (

Not sure thats worked....

I have currently got 7.6kg of maris otter in 25.5L of 68 degree water.

Its a little high, but i can live with that.
Will resume the story and try to improve the deatails tomorrow at about 8am...

Sparge water is up to temp.
First runnings are clear (ish).
Just contemplating my bittering hops.....

The first runnings are on the hob with 38g of fuggle and 20g of casscade.
Didn't realise I had hop pellets...... Never used them before.

so the hops that went in...
38g of fuggle whole hop (everything else has been pellet) and 20g of cascade at start of the boil.

20g of both cascade and citra with 15minutes left
20g of citra with 5minutes left.

I have put some irish moss in as well, that was a bit later than planned...

Just a little up date.
Had 2 fermenters, One is just as, and the other has 50g of citra added after main fermentation stopped, its been like that a week and a half going to leave the hops in for 2 weeks total.

I was supposed to be bottling up the non dry hopped one today, but have been called into work......BOOO

Hey,

I brewed a Citra and Cascade Pale yesterday as well :) Used Magnum for bitterness, and did first wort hopping with some of the cascade and citra. Additions of cascade and citra at 30 and 0.

Yesterday was the second batch of it, first is excellent - best ive brewed. Even so, the first had a few areas which could be improved on so looking forwards to yesterdays batch being ready.

Dry hopping with 30g citra and cascade :) Expensive on the ol' hop bill but worth it ;)

If you worked out the extra cost per bottle of dry hopping I bet it would seem like a bargain. I must still be spending less than 50p on a bottle and it's way better than the £2.15 bottles in the supermarket.
Mind you, I can remember when you could get a pint of Tetley bitter for 38p in the pub. Them were t' days. Fish and chips for less than a pound and petrol was 72p a gallon.

These are my favorite 2 hops to pair up (with Citra as the dry hop). I've tried all sorts of others and the combo doesn't quite come up to these for me. One I am going to try later this week is Cascade and Pacifica as the dry to see how that turns out.

I agree, the cost of homebrew is still far cheaper than that of beer in the shops. But my recipe calls for nearly 100gs of citra and cascade, so thats a fair chunk of cash, probably 40%+ of the cost of the whole brew. Still less that £1 a bottle I imagine and rather nice, so I'm not that worried.

One thing im going to try is Bobek in replacement of some citra. A friend of mine said he's getting similar levels of citrus from those. Nice to have a good old experiment. Nice excuse for a comparative drink!

I pay £4.95 for 100g of Cascade, Citra etc. from Leyland hombrew. No postage cost 'cos I live nearby.
My personal favourite combination at the moment is Amarillo and Citra.
I also love Chinook and tend to bitter with Northern brewer. I might have to get some Magnum. It give a gentle bitterness when I've used it previously:drink:

I regularly use the ovenight mash. It works well.

I have had a couple of beers come out stronger than expected.

Agree with Rolfster, overnight mashing is great. Higher efficiency and after a short time getting the mash going in the evening, you have a considerably shorter brew day the next day. I see no disadvantages.:cheers:

Its a win win situation!

Just a quick update. Having bottled and left these beers for a little bit (probably not long enough but never mind) these beers are both tasting great. They are supprisingly different. I have dry hopped before but putting in a larger amount that before and leaving them in for longer really worked well.
I think the dry hopped one is a bit remeniscent of brewdog punk ipa, bit I have only had it once a little while ago....

Latest posts

Back