Citra hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knottlaboy

Reaction score
I've just ordered Citra hops from Ebay, (£4 for 100g free post), anyone out there with any experience of this variety?

I always find they have more of a mango flavor and aroma than citrus.

Have to say when they were boiling I thought a cat had crept in and ****** in my garage. But given time to mature I really like the taste, and I've always been more of an English hop man.

Did a single hop beer with them last week, my dad said he could smell cat **** when I opened the pack. I thought they just smelt citrussy although I aren't really sure what cat **** smells like :wha: :D

I attended my first CBA meet earlier this month and took an all Citra brew along to be tasted, first person took a sniff and said "Cats ****". I was somewhat taken aback but luckily the vast majority said they'd have another. So yes it does have an odd aroma but tastes very nice, I say grapefruit.
Next time I think I might throw in some cascade or similar so it smells a bit better.

Ive not tried it yet tbh but sounds right up my street ....cascade is an option any thoughts on Simcoe another American hop but sounds like it would go well as a bittering hop and Citra as an aroma hop ??

Hey I like it ...some good advise about the mash temp and sparge liquor as well, that sounds just what i'm looking for !

I bought the Citra and Simcoe now so migth be a bit of a Cascade, Citra, Simcoe medley... :wha:

Blimey!
thanks for the input chaps, my intention is to recreate Osset brewery's Citra, described as having tropical fruit flavours, mango and pineaple may be detected. Doesn't mention cat **** though.
I'm hoping to meet the brewer this saturday at Fernandes bar in Wakefield and get some inside info.

LeicesterLad said:
Hey I like it ...some good advise about the mash temp and sparge liquor as well, that sounds just what i'm looking for !

I bought the Citra and Simcoe now so migth be a bit of a Cascade, Citra, Simcoe medley... :wha:

I have recently brewed a summer ale using the Citra/Simcoe combination and it is very nice indeed. The recipe is on my brewday thread.

Dunfie said:
LeicesterLad said:

I have recently brewed a summer ale using the Citra/Simcoe combination and it is very nice indeed. The recipe is on my brewday thread.

Nice one Dunfie.....whats its like 2 and abit weeks in have you bottled or kegged ?

LeicesterLad said:
Nice one Dunfie.....whats its like 2 and abit weeks in have you bottled or kegged ?

Its actually amazing how quick this one was ready. It was in primary for 9 days and I then bottled. The bottles looked fairly clear after 4 days so I took some to the Scottish Craft Brewers AGM on Sunday (only 5 days after bottling) and it was clear and well conditioned. If being really critical there was a slight greeness in the finish but I'm sure that has gone now.

They are all labelled and transferred to the garage now. :cool:

Back