Cleaning and sanitizing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been doing some reading up and have tried searching the forum regarding cleaning and sanitizing equipment.

I just wanted to double check however since I'm totally new to this.

I'm going to be using starsan to sanitize my fv, bottling bucket, pipes, etc. Do I need to sanitize my hlt, mash tun or boiler however? I read that preboil equipment doesn't need to be sanitized only cleaned. Is that correct?

Second with bottles. I'll clean them and drain in a tree. When it comes to bottling I just squirt some starsan into the bottles probably using one of those bottle squirting things (can't remember the name sorry) and then can immediately fill with fermented wort. Is that correct?

Sorry to be asking questions that have probably been answered loads but I want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Thanks.

Hi all.

I've been doing some reading up and have tried searching the forum regarding cleaning and sanitizing equipment.

I just wanted to double check however since I'm totally new to this.

I'm going to be using starsan to sanitize my fv, bottling bucket, pipes, etc. Do I need to sanitize my hlt, mash tun or boiler however? I read that preboil equipment doesn't need to be sanitized only cleaned. Is that correct?

Second with bottles. I'll clean them and drain in a tree. When it comes to bottling I just squirt some starsan into the bottles probably using one of those bottle squirting things (can't remember the name sorry) and then can immediately fill with fermented wort. Is that correct?

Sorry to be asking questions that have probably been answered loads but I want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Thanks.

With bottles I dunk them in a bowl of starsan and when there's enough starsan inside roll them so all the bottle inside had been in contact and then pour out. i'd be worried spraying inside of bottles that i'd got it all.

Thanks doj. I did wonder whether just spraying the inside of the bottle was enough.

no probs, I use a star san spray on the outside of the fv and a cloth drenched in it for the inside of the fv. the fv of course is too big to immerse.

so I have 3 x 1.5 liter bottles of volvic (cos is the lowest ph water I can easily get) and pour into this....

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=281098062

then mix up the star san. and take a little out for spraying. The starsan goes back in the bottles after use.

I'd heard you can reuse it so that's good. So with the hlt, mash tun and boiler do you know whether I need to starsan these as well or just clean due to the temperature of the contents they'll be holding

clean everything ;) but avoid soap and detergents as they contain ?non ionic surficants? or head killers which are persistent even through rinses,

the generic fragrance free laundry oxy is my preference for a cleaner, circa £2-£3 per kilo and use at a rate of 1-2 scoops per 5 gallons in warm water..
prior to sanitising with starsan, applying via a trigger spray bottle is very economical mix up 5l at a time and decant into spray bottles when needed.

we tend to talk about hot side and cold side, the cod side is post boil and chilled while the hot side is hlt/mash tun and boiler.. hot side equipment needs a good rinse/clean with water followed by a good drying and thats it, the cold side is where its worthwhile getting ocd about things, i tend to clean sanitise and dry on the way out of use And on the way into use too ;)

as llong as equipment is clean on the hot side the 60-90 minute boil will do all the sanitising needed ;)

happy brewing...

When it comes to bottling I just squirt some starsan into the bottles probably using one of those bottle squirting things (can't remember the name sorry) and then can immediately fill with fermented wort. Is that correct?
You are probably aware of this, but you must let the Starsan do it's thing for a couple of minutes. It's not instantaneous.

Thanks both. I thought I'd have to leave the starsan for a few mins but thanks for confirming that. As for a "sprayer" I was going to get one of those bottle rinsers so that's good to know. I'll try to pick up some empty okay sprayers for doing the fv as well. Good ideas. :)

Going to get some non perfumed Oxy at lunch.

clean everything ;) but avoid soap and detergents as they contain ?non ionic surficants? or head killers which are persistent even through rinses,

the generic fragrance free laundry oxy is my preference for a cleaner, circa ��£2-��£3 per kilo and use at a rate of 1-2 scoops per 5 gallons in warm water..
prior to sanitising with starsan, applying via a trigger spray bottle is very economical mix up 5l at a time and decant into spray bottles when needed.

we tend to talk about hot side and cold side, the cod side is post boil and chilled while the hot side is hlt/mash tun and boiler.. hot side equipment needs a good rinse/clean with water followed by a good drying and thats it, the cold side is where its worthwhile getting ocd about things, i tend to clean sanitise and dry on the way out of use And on the way into use too ;)

as long as equipment is clean on the hot side the 60-90 minute boil will do all the sanitising needed ;)

happy brewing...

+1

you need a minute of contact time with star san but because it is no rinse contact time is over that, unless of course you dried it off with a cloth :doh:

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech-HB2.pdf

there's a section specifically for hb'ers there.

when i say dry after sanitation i mean of course drain.. i drain dry in preperation for storage tho and never seal up damp equipment inside air tight buckets ets.. think fridge left closed with no power..

Back