Cleaning/Sterilising a Bottle Tree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornish Knocker

Shandy Pants
Reaction score
I got a bottle tree from Father Christmas and as I'm planning on bottling tomorrow, had a thought last night about cleaning it. Don't want to have lovely clean bottles, only to pick up some nasties from the tree.

I initially thought about spraying a bleach mixture on it and then rinsing it off with water. How do other members clean theirs, that isn't too much of a long job?

I use Videne Antiseptic diluted at 1.5ml/L (Starsan will also work, as will other non-rinse sanitsers) in a spray bottle, and give it a good spraying before rinsing my bottles with Videne and plonking them on the tree.

Bleach solution would work, but you might run the risk of tainting your beer if it isn't rinsed off afterwards.

I also got one for Christmas, used it for bottling a couple of weeks back, so much better, so easy.

I didn't actually do anything to mine on it's first outing, rightly or wrongly, but as the bottles came straight out of sanitising solution and onto the tree I gathered that it would pretty much self sanitise as I went.

Before I use it next time I plan to have some sanitiser in a spray bottle and give it a spray down before use.

I use videne in a squirty bottle before putting bottles on. But I have forgot to spray it more than once and the beer has been fine..

Mine gets a good wash in soapy water followed by a Videne spray, because Santa brought me one the year before last.

My previous bottle drainer was a piece of chipboard to fit over our utility sink with holes cut through, as in danb's post but cruder.

Back