Clibit Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The WLP006 and 1728 both look good house strains.

1469 might be good in paler ales but I've been eyeing it up for milds (brew corner still in the mid 20c's so will be using S04 for a while yet) as it the flavour profile looks like it will suit. I also might try out WLP023 as that's also supposed to be a good all rounder too

Yes 1469 should suit a mild. Swap you some for some 023, if you get some. No worries if not, the 1469 is yours.

Just mashed this brew in. Looking for a nice zingy NZ session ale for the, er, winter. :doh:

Also going to split it into 2 FVs and ferment half with Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire ale and half with WLP006 Bedford ale. 7 litres of each.

Nelson Motueka Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 14.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 35.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 82
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

2.137 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.51%)
0.112 kg Crystal 80 EBC Pale/Medium (4.74%)
0.082 kg Wheat Malt (3.47%)
0.030 kg Crystal 340 EBC Extra Dark (1.27%)

10.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 60
10.0 g Motueka Leaf (6.6% Alpha) @ 15
10.0 g Motueka Leaf (6.6% Alpha) @ 5
10.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 5

3.0 g Calcium Chloride
8.0 g Gypsum
4.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
1. Ferment 7L at 18°C with WLP006 Bedford ale yeast
2. Ferment 7L at 18°C with Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire ale

Yes 1469 should suit a mild. Swap you some for some 023, if you get some. No worries if not, the 1469 is yours.

I'll probably get some 023 and do a swap then :thumb: unfortunately with all the mild weather were having I don't think I'll be buying any until at least the new year.

btw have you got a brew fridge now or are you just going to use the liquid yeasts in winter?

No brew fridge yet, but working on it! I can keep the temp below 20C in my house, some colder spots. You sure you can't?

No rush for the 023, I've plenty to go at!

The kitchin area of the flat is the only area I can brew/ferment in. Haven't done any temp readings anywhere else but my flat is pretty well insulated (iirc we only turned the heating on two or three times last winter) so I think it's probably around 22c/23c everywhere

That's a bit of a bummer. You need a colder flat.

I'm all done with my Free Nelson Motueka pale ale. Well, I've still to take the OG and pitch the yeast, but going out now, will do it when I get back. Still a bit too warm atm. 7L in each bucket. 1469 and 006 at the ready...

MrsMQ would never stop complaining if it was (she seems to feel the cold much more than me)

Over the summer I did a few experiments with water baths. I could perhaps try them out again?

MrsMQ would never stop complaining if it was (she seems to feel the cold much more than me)

Over the summer I did a few experiments with water baths. I could perhaps try them out again?

Why not? Use a t-shirt draped over the FV to evaporate the heat off. Starsan or bleach in the water. Should work.

Tried the t-shirt over the FV once before. IT didn't seem to work very well. Putting ice bottles in the water works well though but It's just a case of having to bother to swap them out all the time

An STC, simple pump and a length of silicone tubing, fed from a bottle of water in your fridge, wrapped around your FV. Sorted...

Update: Both the Nelson Motueka FVs now have a good krausen, the 1469 FV had a thick krausen this morning, a highly successful yeast starter. The WLP006 had no krausen this morning but is now in full swing.

One of the three yeast starters I made with very old yeast a few days ago is now fermenting like fury - the Sussex yeast - it smells phenolic, suggesting the 1040 wort was too much for it? Maybe I'll split a bit of wort off my next batch and try fermenting it with that. One of the other starters has produced a little gas but nothing else noticeable, the other - nothing.

Yep, now got significant activity in the Thwaites yeast starter. Just the Fullers doing nowt. Both active starters smell phenolic, is this a sign that a tiny amount of live yeast has been stretched too far? Will it be any good? Do I add some more wort?

I'd feed them with lower gravity starter wort, before brewing. Might help them recover from possible stress?

I'd feed them with lower gravity starter wort, before brewing. Might help them recover from possible stress?

Sounds like a plan - I'll probably split a batch and do a few litres with each of these, and the bulk with something I trust.

If the phenolic smell persists, I'd dump 'em. It might be from something else, wild yeast or bacteria, that has got a foot hold because of the lag time. Not much we can do about it. Blighters are everywhere!

If the phenolic smell persists, I'd dump 'em. It might be from something else, wild yeast or bacteria, that has got a foot hold because of the lag time. Not much we can do about it. Blighters are everywhere!

More likely to be stress I reckon. If I do use them, it will be on a couple of litres each, just out of curiosity. Not much to lose. Might make the best 2 litres ever. :-?

Bottled the Nelson Motueka today, both batches - Wy1469 and WLP006.

The yeast flavours have calmed down in both batches, and both tasted very promising, and both very clear.

I have a vial of 1469 for MyQul and one for SteveJ in the fridge, will post soon.

Update! This Nelson Motueka is conditioning itself into a really nice beer. Both these yeasts are great. The 1469 Yorkshire is softer, mutes the hops more, and provides nice soft fruitiness. The 006 Bedford gives a sharper beer, accentuates spiciness and hops more, is really clean and I really like it. Good mouth feel, very clear and good foam. Two yeasts to use more, for sure. You don't see people using the Bedford much, which is odd, cos it's great. A high quality yeast going off this brew.

First brew day since December! Been out of action due to illness mainly, so I'm easing myself in with a nice 9 litre batch of a low ABV 3.5% pale ale. Want to work on lower strength beers, as I think this is my drinking future. So, currently boiling, I have this concoction I've rustled together:

Batch Size (L): 9.0
Total Grain (kg): 1.382
Total Hops (g): 55.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.038
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.73 %
Colour (SRM): 6.0 (EBC): 11.8
Bitterness (IBU): 34.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60 (added a little gypsum to the boil)

Mashed in 8 litres at 68C with half tsp gypsum, mashed 40 mins, dropped to 67C, then batch sparged in 5 litres of 80C water in a separate pot for 10-15 mins.

1.202 kg Maris Otter Malt (86.96%)
0.070 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5.07%) For some body
0.070 kg Crystal 145 EBC Medium (5.07%) For body, sweetness and head
0.040 kg Torrified Wheat (2.9%) to boost the foam

7.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
12.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
12.0 g Bobek Leaf (4.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
12.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (6.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
12.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Yeast: WLP006 Bedford Ale. I used some slurry from end of November, made a 500ml starter, pitched while it was fermenting furiously.

I started milling grains at 11.15am while the mash water heated, mashed in at 11.30, ended mash at 12.10, sparged til 12.25, reached boil at 12.40, ended boil 1.40 and plonked the pot in the sink to cool. I was already pretty much cleaned up. Quick brewday, 2.5 hours. Took me 5 mins to Starsan the FV an hour or so later and pour the wort into it.

I got an OG of abut 1039-1040, around 83% efficiency, so I overshot the original target of 1036 and will be nearer 4% than 3.5%.

I had a very nice Dark Star 'Hophead' pale ale the other day. Nice and juicy, with good flavour and coming in at just 3.8%. I think pushing the body and flavour boundaries for a low ABV beer would be a good challenge.

Back