Clibit Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interested in how this goes. Low alcohol ales seem few and far between, unless you want something as bland as anything. I'd like something lower abv for summer thirst quenching.

Same as me notlaw. You know as well as I do low alcohol beers are almost the most difficult beers to make. And let's be honest, it is the way forward.

I will be making more low ABV beers, and seeing what works. I've done a bit of reading. The choice of grains is a factor, mash temperature, yeast attenuation, carbonation even. I'll try a few variations and see what comes out best.

So would you aim for grains that don't add much fermentables? Would those be more of the roasted kinds?

So would you aim for grains that don't add much fermentables? Would those be more of the roasted kinds?

To try to avoid a beer that is too thin, you add grains that leave some unfermentable sugars, to provide body. Hence the Carapils, and the crystal. You could use a chunk of Munich, or Vienna. You can also mash high, I mashed at 68. And use a low attenuation yeast, to leave a high FG. One of my best beers to date was the Brewers Gold IPA, bittered with Columbus and flaviured with Brewers Gold. So I did Chinook and BG, and added some Simcoe and Bobek to use them up! Two hops I like a lot for aroma.

I've relied mainly on mash temp, and some Carapils. The yeast is a medium attenuation type I think, I've had 72-76% with it.

The hop choice was governed by hops that needed using, but I picked hops I like.

On the extreme end of this there's a recipe in Bredwdog's recently released recipe list for a 0.5% beer called Nanny State.

On the extreme end of this there's a recipe in Bredwdog's recently released recipe list for a 0.5% beer called Nanny State.

Yeah I applaud them for doing it, it's a great concept. I recently had a half of it in Brewdog Leicester, it was actually horrible. Tasted like a cleaning product.

Yeah I applaud them for doing it, it's a great concept. I recently had a half of it in Brewdog Leicester, it was actually horrible. Tasted like a cleaning product.

Agreed, I had a bottle in a restaurant before Christmas... It was absolutely rank. I think even Beck's Blue is nicer than that, and Beck's Blue is horrible.!

Agree nice idea but when I tried a bottle it was 1 sip and then down the sink, possibly the worst bottled beer I have ever tasted

Well this brew is throwing out tons of gas but as yet has no krausen. I hope the yeast was ok, I left the starter to the last minute, only had 8 hours from making to pitching - but it had foam on top and was bubbling like crazy when it was pitched. Ideally should have been made a day or two earlier.

That'll be fine clibit. All starters are done in 24hrs max if they are fermented at 20oC or higher. As long as you were using a fresh vial/pack then the starter would have helped increase the cell count and kick it on its way even if it was for only 8hrs.

That'll be fine clibit. All starters are done in 24hrs max if they are fermented at 20oC or higher. As long as you were using a fresh vial/pack then the starter would have helped increase the cell count and kick it on its way even if it was for only 8hrs.

Unfortunately I was using slurry collected at the end of November!

Meh. At worst you've under pitched it a bit and the yeast is going through a frantic cell increase phase before it gets into breaking down the sugars. Just minor yeast stress. I've had that before and you get a bit of a "yeasty" smell to the beer at the end of fermentation. Ive found an extra 1-2 weeks of cold conditioning on top of usual works that out.

Meh. At worst you've under pitched it a bit and the yeast is going through a frantic cell increase phase before it gets into breaking down the sugars. Just minor yeast stress. I've had that before and you get a bit of a "yeasty" smell to the beer at the end of fermentation. Ive found an extra 1-2 weeks of cold conditioning on top of usual works that out.

Yes this is what is happening I think and I knew it was very likely, but didn't get round to doing my starter in time and decided to gamble.

Well this brew is throwing out tons of gas but as yet has no krausen. I hope the yeast was ok, I left the starter to the last minute, only had 8 hours from making to pitching - but it had foam on top and was bubbling like crazy when it was pitched. Ideally should have been made a day or two earlier.

Sounds to me like you pitched it at high krausen - the healthiest point before its starts to take on reserves and floc out. I usually pitch at high krausen if I'm not entirely sure if I have enough yeast or not as it's more important to pitch healthy yeast then 'more' yeast

Back