cloudy beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve963

Reaction score
why are my ales cloudy when i forget to add irish moss to boil

I hear they should clear after time anyway but mine dont

is my boil not vigorous enough?

usually marris otter and torrified wheat

Thanks

Firstly, wheat will give a slightly cloudy finish if you add too much: no more than 10% of the grain bill.
Secondly, are you using a wort chiller? These can really help to clear the finished product.
Thirdly, how long are you leaving your beer for before drinking? Most beers that I make will ferment for 2 weeks and then put into bottles or kegs to condition. They usually don't start to clear for another fortnight. Time is your friend.
Fourthly, what temperature is it being served at? Chilling the beer will help it to settle.
Finally, if (like me) you forget to add Irish Moss to the boil, just dissolve 1 leaf of gelatine and add it to the fermenter 1-2 days before kegging or bottling.

I've had some success with crash chilling my beer (I think that's what it's called).

After my last brew finished fermenting, I racked it into a clean sterilised fermenter bucket, and put it in my beer fridge. After a week, there was about half an inch of crud at the bottom of the fermenter that had dropped out, but the beer was still cloudy - looked like a chill haze.

I used Kwik Clear finings to get rid of the haze - it's absolutely crystal clear now.

yes wheat less than 10%
and using wort chiller takes about 1 hour for 60L
have left if for months before and still cloudy, sometimes just the neck clears
i used finings and it clears, but sometimes leaves floating bits so dont like it (isinglass, very difficult to mix up from powder)

Latest posts

Back