cloudy wash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayleebec

Reaction score
I am new to the forum so accept my appologies in advance for any mistakes!!
I have been brewing a while now but this is the first attempt at alcoholic wash got it through the fermentation process have used turbo clear but it is still very cloudy (will not clear) any suggestions???

Have you tried chilling it? Or putting it on a. Cold concrete floor.

Wellcome to the forum. :thumb:

I can't be certain but I read that these kits tend not to clear if you drop the finings too early. It is absolutely crucial that the fermentation is finished before adding the turbo clear.

try using the youngs finings, the two sachet type. They always work for me , clears the wash in less than a day.

The wash needs to have completely finished fermenting before you can attempt to use those finings. Give it a few more days to ferment, then move it somewhere cold and add more finings, even then it can take a while to clear completely

Thanks for all replies cooled it down and added seconded lot of alcotec cleared great only `problem` I seem to have now is when I added the essence it looks a bit murky in the bottle with whiskey bourbon etc anything with colour has gone murky The gin looks fine clear as water.

I have exactly the same problem. In fact, despite them running for 14 days, and despite the yeasties having done nothing for 3 successive days, I am pretty sure one of 'em has decided to start up again.

1) I'm out of part A Still Spirits Turbo Clear, which I believe stuns/ stops the yeast

2) I have a some part B left (I'm running 2 gallons rather than the 5)

3) I am also embarrassingly short of money, to the tune of not being able to pick up any new ones for a couple of days

Would it be worthwhile popping them in the snow for a bit? Should I rack them off what has already sedimented out or not (thinking this will mean I could mix the remaining part B with less hassle). I'd be happy enough to leave it under normal circumstances but I foolishly tied myself to a deadline.....

EDIT: in fact, I think I hit the same problem when I did an alcotec kit, which I fixed by doing another 2 part finings. But that one didn't have carbon to contend with.

Latest posts

Back