Using Brewbrite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twopan

Reaction score
Used Brewbite for the first time. Added 4g to the boil with protofloc and it just clumped into several blobs and refused to dissolve. When I bottled the brew looked different in the FV with lots of floating bits and it is very cloudy in the bottles still after a week; normally it clears down from the neck in a couple of days. This is a Leffe Clone which has never done this to me before. Any tips please on what may have gone wrong?

I have used it a few times. You are meant to dissolve in a little cold water then add that to the boil. I gave up using it as it seemed to make a plasticky break (could be subjective) that made draining difficult. Didn’t really notice a beer clarity difference.

I have used it a few times. You are meant to dissolve in a little cold water then add that to the boil. I gave up using it as it seemed to make a plasticky break (could be subjective) that made draining difficult. Didn’t really notice a beer clarity difference.
Thanks - what do you mean by a plasticky break please? I am amazed that it seems to have had the opposite effect on the fermented beer i.e. made it look grim.

This is the information on Brewbrite provides to the big boys (hence not homebrew scale):

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Ashland-Polyclar-Brewbrite_Sell-Sheet.pdf
So, yes it should have been dispersed fully in some water first as @Caramel Ox said.

Note it's a copper fining. Don't expect it to do anything after the boil (although it may remove dissolved stuff, proteins, etc, responsible for chill-hazes and the like). Copper finings cannot remove stuff created in (added to) the fermenter (yeast haze, dry hop haze, etc). I've always found Irish Moss (like in Protofloc) more than adequate for copper fining.

[EDIT: "Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (PVPP)" sounds plasticky to me! Note "Polyclar-Brewbrite" contains Irish Moss; should it be used with Protofloc?]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back