CML Clipper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried CML Clipper in a Bitter? I use Clipper all the time for my NEIPAs but I see that their website states that it is similar to London Ale lll
I believe it's repackaged verdant yeast, which is itself a descendant from the Fuller's strain (London ale 3). As such, it should be ideal in ales/bitters

I believe it's repackaged verdant yeast, which is itself a descendant from the Fuller's strain (London ale 3). As such, it should be ideal in ales/bitters
Verdant is descended from London Ale III, but I'm not aware of any link with Fuller's -and just empirically, LA3 doesn't have the typical oranginess of the Fuller's yeast. (ditto WLP002 and 1968, whatever USians say....)

Genetically LA3 is a typical Whitbread yeast, it's very closely related to 1098. USians claim LA3 came from Boddies, my personal suspicion is that it never saw the inside of Strangeways but came from a Boddies product made in a Whitbread factory after the takeover, using the Whitbread yeast.

But then it evolved at Verdant, and acquired some rather unbalanced fruity notes which work with New World hops but which don't work quite so well in trad British beers. But it's a matter of taste - some people like it, some people don't. It probably wouldn't be my first choice unless eg diluted with some Notty or Windsor but if you have some to hand give it a go and see how it suits your palate.

Verdant is descended from London Ale III, but I'm not aware of any link with Fuller's -and just empirically, LA3 doesn't have the typical oranginess of the Fuller's yeast. (ditto WLP002 and 1968, whatever USians say....)

Genetically LA3 is a typical Whitbread yeast, it's very closely related to 1098. USians claim LA3 came from Boddies, my personal suspicion is that it never saw the inside of Strangeways but came from a Boddies product made in a Whitbread factory after the takeover, using the Whitbread yeast.

But then it evolved at Verdant, and acquired some rather unbalanced fruity notes which work with New World hops but which don't work quite so well in trad British beers. But it's a matter of taste - some people like it, some people don't. It probably wouldn't be my first choice unless eg diluted with some Notty or Windsor but if you have some to hand give it a go and see how it suits your palate.
Good to know. I was in the ballpark, if not totally accurate

It's definitely not repackaged verdant. The krausen level is no where near that beast.

My guess (educated) is it's WHC Sarurated as they sell that in blocks. And no other LA3 I've used has the verdant take off...

It's definitely not repackaged verdant. The krausen level is no where near that beast.

My guess (educated) is it's WHC Sarurated as they sell that in blocks. And no other LA3 I've used has the verdant take off...
Do we know what WHC Saturated is?

Do Clipper and Saturated both have tropical esters, as they claim?

I have used it in a variation of a 1920s Boddingtons IP recipe. Initially after conditioning it wasn't great, but evolved after a couple more weeks into something quite nice. It was a very blonde ale, and I suspect it would have been better in a darker beer.

With fining, it drops completely clear.

I have used it in a variation of a 1920s Boddingtons IP recipe. Initially after conditioning it wasn't great, but evolved after a couple more weeks into something quite nice. It was a very blonde ale, and I suspect it would have been better in a darker beer.

With fining, it drops completely clear.

Are you talking about Verdant or Clipper?

Latest posts

Back