Yeast Experiment / Mosaic Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Next brew will be a Mosaic Pale.

Maris Otter / Munich / Wheat grain bill.
mainly mosaic hops in a big hopstand / dry hop with some centennial. Mosaic intended to be the star.

Initially I planned to do this with CML 5, but I'm now thinking it's a good chance to split down and do some yeast experiments. At the moment I have the following pencilled down as possibly suiting the style and worth trying. Should note I can't temp control fermentation currently so I have the option of room tep (c. 20deg) or my cold cupboard at c. 16gdeg.

CML FIVE
CML CLIPPER - heard good things and wanting to try..
CML ATLANTIC

Any suggestions / pointers welcomed.
Anyone used BeOIR or PIA?

As you can tell, I like CML for yeast, bot upon to others :)

I like doing this, splitting a batch to compare yeasts.

I've not used many current CML yeasts but Pia sounds ideal. And you could push the envelope a bit and try Hell, or Hog Norsk.

Choose three for this brew, three for the next brew, perhaps.

Hi all. Next brew will be a Mosaic Pale.

Maris Otter / Munich / Wheat grain bill.
mainly mosaic hops in a big hopstand / dry hop with some centennial. Mosaic intended to be the star.

Initially I planned to do this with CML 5, but I'm now thinking it's a good chance to split down and do some yeast experiments. At the moment I have the following pencilled down as possibly suiting the style and worth trying. Should note I can't temp control fermentation currently so I have the option of room tep (c. 20deg) or my cold cupboard at c. 16gdeg.

CML FIVE
CML CLIPPER - heard good things and wanting to try..
CML ATLANTIC

Any suggestions / pointers welcomed.
Anyone used BeOIR or PIA?

As you can tell, I like CML for yeast, bot upon to others :)
Ive used Beoir and Pia. The former is a pretty good general purpose ale yeast. Ferments quite dry (I got better than 75% attenuation out of it as per CML's spec) It's fairly maltforward. Got it in my head that it;s Guinness yeast, but I'm probably wrong. As for PIA, it;s supposed to be a Kiwi ale yeast. Not sure what that means, to be frank. I found it not unlike the Beoir.

And you could push the envelope a bit and try Hell, or Hog Norsk.

I like the look of Hog as it is happier at higher temps. Hadn't thoguht of Hell. I do have a pack of Kolsch in the fridge so could try that..

As for PIA, it;s supposed to be a Kiwi ale yeast. Not sure what that means, to be frank. I found it not unlike the Beoir.

That's interesting to hear, I expected it to be quite punchy from the description. Descriptively it sounds worth trying for sure.

Use your cupboard. I was really impressed with my Cali common I did in a 16c back bedroom. Certainly wasn’t a slow fermentation either.

Good to hear, I might do the Five in there as well. I've used this a few times at room temp with good results, so interesting to see what the lower temp does for it....

I like the look of Hog as it is happier at higher temps. Hadn't thoguht of Hell. I do have a pack of Kolsch in the fridge so could try that..

That's interesting to hear, I expected it to be quite punchy from the description. Descriptively it sounds worth trying for sure.

Good to hear, I might do the Five in there as well. I've used this a few times at room temp with good results, so interesting to see what the lower temp does for it....
The Hog Norsk is a Kolsch yeast.
I'd give it a try. CML say it's hop-forward. The two times I used it was in different ordinary bitters- not excessively hop forward. They were nice, but I don't think I got the best out of the yeast. Your Mosaic project sounds much more suitable,
Definitely the cupboard. The fermentation energy will raise the temp by 2 or 3 degrees.

The Hog Norsk is a Kolsch yeast.
I'd give it a try. CML say it's hop-forward. The two times I used it was in different ordinary bitters- not excessively hop forward. They were nice, but I don't think I got the best out of the yeast. Your Mosaic project sounds much more suitable,
Definitely the cupboard. The fermentation energy will raise the temp by 2 or 3 degrees.

Sounds good, and subtly different from the others. Which gives me a nice set of four to try.
Five
Clipper
Pia
Hog

Will likely do this early in the New Year unless I get a day spare over Christmas!

Will update back with results.

Cheers.

Sounds good, and subtly different from the others. Which gives me a nice set of four to try.
Five
Clipper
Pia
Hog

Will likely do this early in the New Year unless I get a day spare over Christmas!

Will update back with results.

Cheers.
Sounds good, look forward to your feedback.

I've used Hell a couple of times now in the mid teens Celsius without a fridge and been pleased with the results, it could work in an American pale or IPA, I suspect. But I haven't used it with those kinds of hops or hop levels yet, so I don't know whether Hell promotes hops, or mutes them.

Isn't "Christmas" supposed to be a holiday? ie- lots of spare days once the feasting and carousing is done!

Haha, I thought this too. Apparently our two year old and grandparents / extended family negate this somewhat… 🤣🤣

Sounds good, look forward to your feedback.

I've used Hell a couple of times now in the mid teens Celsius without a fridge and been pleased with the results, it could work in an American pale or IPA, I suspect. But I haven't used it with those kinds of hops or hop levels yet, so I don't know whether Hell promotes hops, or mutes them.

Ooh that’s good to hear. I was hoping to have a go at a couple of lagers before temps warm up in readiness for summer. I may be in luck 😁😁

Well I finally got this brew done today. Will do a full write up but I’ve ended up with three vessels of varying quantities (vessel size being the deciding factor).

Will pitch yeast this eve, likely as below.

10l - PIA
7l - Clipper
4l - Five

Enough of each to get some good comparisons going..

Quick SG check on these this evening (day 8). All have fermented down from 1.041 to 1.012 / 1.013. By the recipe/Brewfather, they should have another couple of points to go, so I’ll leave til this weekend and bottle.

Interesting difference in clarity. From left to right PIA, CLIPPER then FIVE.

Pia and Clipper definitely have a more pronounced hoppy flavour and Five less so with more pronounced bitterness. Surprised at the difference I noticed.

Looking forward to the final results.

Attachments

• 86FABA5A-DDA6-4A18-A665-DAB7AC4963F5.jpeg
    86FABA5A-DDA6-4A18-A665-DAB7AC4963F5.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Final clarity will be interesting (if there is a difference by that point). CML have flocculation as 'high' for Five, 'good' for PIA & 'medium' for Clipper.

Back