Co2 and Star San

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam brew

Reaction score
Dear all
As some one who has only been brewing beer for about 10 months I need some help , I have been using a beer engine with 2 firkins with great success but for Christmas I have been given a corni keg and a King keg along with a bottle rinser my question is
(A) what pressure would I need for the corni I have a 30 lt co2 cylinder and gauges
(B) as the KK has a brass co2 fitting how would I fit it to my cylinder and gauges
(C) I was also given a bottle rinser with a bottle of star San how much would I need to mix to wash 40 bottles and can I keep the liquid for further use many thanks :cheers:

Can answer the first two. But star San is mixed at 1.6ml to the litre. The mix the amount needed for your rinser you will have to use a syringe

Are you wanting to use the corny with the hand pump? If so, you will need a demand valve so the pressure doesn't force beer through the pump. You'll also need the pressure set low. Maybe with a better title someone with experience of cornies will come along.

I make up Starsan using 7.5mL in 5L of Tesco Ashbeck water. Pour enough into the rinser and when you are finished you can pour what's left back into the Ashbeck bottle. It should last for a long time. Don't forget to sanitise your bottle caps.

U must have been high up on Santa's Good list..

not all corny kegs are equal... some seal easily with nominal pressure others take pressures upto 20 or 30psi to seal, and then hold with just a nominal pressure, while others loose the seal below a certain pressure..

softer orange/red silicone lid rings can help with problems sealing kegs enabling lower pressure sealing and pressure maintenance.

for conditioning and serving pressures using a tap and not an engine check out this resource http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carb ... -chart.php

for using the king keg, sounds like either an s30 or co2 Bulb valve,
if there is a pin inside to pierce a bulbs foil cap its for bulbs, some can be unscrewed and reversed (the pin) for use with an s30 bottle. no pin its probably for an s30 bottle, the s30 system is a slightly bigger bottle and contains more co2 and will last a good period between exchanges

Many thanks for info, Last evening going to the local and talking about brewing a guy who's father brews told me they fitted a tank connecter to there KK lid then to copper then a gas valve then J G fittings setting 1 psi on co2 this seems the way for me. I will not be using the beer engine as I like using it on the firkin. Yes I was top of the tree for Christmas thanks again :cheers:

Latest posts

Back