Co2 fire extinguisher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi i normally use a fire extinguisher which has been moded with the wee twisty valve on top to open close the gas. I have recently acquired a couple of large co2 extinguisher which haven't been moded still have the wee press down lever on them is it possible for me to use these if I tap the valve down so it's open all the time or possibly even use these to fill my tank with the twisty valve any advice much appreciated

Hmmm!

I'm always VERY reluctant to recommend ANY deviation from a normal operation with ANY gas ...

... and this is no different! :nono:

CO2 cylinders are under extreme pressure (sometimes over 20Bar) and liquid CO2 at atmospheric pressure will cool down to -78.5 degrees celsius.

Put simply, messing with CO2 can have horrendous consequences so my advice is "Go and get the right gear." :thumb:

Hmmm!

I'm always VERY reluctant to recommend ANY deviation from a normal operation with ANY gas ...

CO2 cylinders are under extreme pressure (sometimes over 20Bar) and liquid CO2 at atmospheric pressure will cool down to -78.5 degrees celsius.

Put simply, messing with CO2 can have horrendous consequences so my advice is "Go and get the right gear." :thumb:
This is what I'm using currently which I bought from my homebrew show and most people I know here use too would it not be straight forward enough to fill it of the other ones I got with the normal press down valve get one of the refill kits like the ones you use for paintball canister ect

DSC_0405.jpg

Hmmm!

Wise words, fannying around with pressurised gas cylinders is asking for a trip to hospital or worse.

Hmmm!

I'm with Dutto on this one, my 20kg bottle cost £80.00 full and I get it refilled for £20.00 and it lasts nearly a full year.

...CO2 cylinders are under extreme pressure (sometimes over 20Bar) and liquid CO2 at atmospheric pressure will cool down to -78.5 degrees celsius.[/B] :thumb:
I think you might be pussy footing about the reality. It can't be so high? Well it is: Getting on 60BAR at room temperature ... most times. Volatile liquid transitioning into gas, it has to be at around that pressure to keep everything in equilibrium.

Size don't matter, except for the amount of CO2 released. For a "Pub" bottle holding 6.35Kg that's ... :wha: ... 3,500 litres (I think).

Mess with it so it isn't in equilibrium and ...

It may be possible to change fittings on the extinguishers and run a hose from them to your canister to transfer it. This won't get all of it across as it'll balance out. So you'll probably only get half the co2 outta them in to the other.
If you're not sure what you're doing, plus the faff and the fittings required I would leave it

"What's a paintball canister?" :lol:

Paint ball guns use compressed CO2 to fire and you get various size CO2 canisters from 12g disposable up to 20oz refillable. I have no idea how easy or hard they are to attach a regulator to use with beer.

before the rot of ww3 set in there was a great web resource supported by a team of paintballers 'team onslaught' and thier co2 info page covered all the suitable containers and their mating threads as well as safe procedures for transfer.. I think i found the group on facebook?? and the info may be repeated within that structure but as im not a member i dont know??
https://en-gb.facebook.com/Onslaught-Paintball-50957133879/

Meant to post this at the time...

There was me preaching the hazards of messing with these things, and here we have a bunch who would consider such preaching for wusses:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu62940nMmc[/ame]

There was me preaching the hazards of messing with these things, and here we have a bunch who would consider such preaching for wusses:

[ame]

Love it! One legged blind Pete in action?

Reminds me of a time when a Supervisor on a new oil refinery in Ryadh took me round to look at a load of Chlorine Cylinders on the basis that "I may like to use them." (I was Commissioning Manager on a new water treatment plant that used one-ton cylinders of chlorine as part of the sterilising process.)

One look at the corroded valves and rusty cylinders was enough to persuade me to get them moved as far as possibly away from me!

They were gently loaded on to a sand filled flat-bed truck, gingerly driven out into the desert (well away from any civilisation or animals) and located 200 metres down-wind. A sharp-shooter from the Saudi Army then punctured the cylinders (he was supposed to aim for the valves but ...?) and amazingly we discovered that two of the cylinders still contained Chlorine Gas that drifted away into the desert.

Happy Days!

I currently use out of date 2kg fire extinguishers (I procure them for free when ours get checked at work as the company that comes in doesn't really want the hastle of recycling). I've removed the horn and attach an aquarium co2 regulator to the fitting with an adapter. Not had any problems yet. Trick is to store them upside down. Check out the link from down under if you're seriously thinking about it.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/converting-co2-fire-extinguisher.58577/

[ame]

i love the fact that after twatting the valve with a sledge he then bends down to use hisbare hand and fingers to adjust the badly damaged cylinder so he can **** it again. as for the bottle going north they did realise that the valve was going to go south?? I love youtube and americians, its so darwin award winning stuff

as a builder this is a classic, thebrick to the head at 58 seconds is legend ,

CO2 Fire extinguishers are filled to around 55 Bar or 808 psi. Having seen one fall off a lorry and break the valve stem, the cylinder then shooting off like a torpedo. Striking the valve with a hammer seems like a dumb thing to do. Fire Extinguishers require pressure tests every ten years and the tests are expensive, cheaper to buy a new one. Buy the proper gear, why take a big risk for the sake of a few quid. Not only that who will drink your beer if you kill yourself messing around with high pressure gas.

as a builder this is a classic, thebrick to the head at 58 seconds is legend ,

I can hardly see the screen for tears of laughter! It brought back the memory of when my Dad had a load of bricks delivered to build a new garage. Full of enthusiasm, I leapt up on to the lorry and started to off-load the bricks to "the chain" at two bricks at a time.

The chain went Me > Lorry Driver > Dad > Brother (who was a bricky and knew how to stack bricks)!

It took only fifteen minutes to produce two black fingernails (Driver) a bruised ankle (Dad) and a black thumbnail (Brother) and "voila!" I had moved to the head of the chain where I discovered that I had suddenly learned how to stack bricks!

By the time the job was finished I had accumulated a black toenail, a severely bruised foot, numerous grazes to my hands and arms; and the knowledge that unloading a lorry-load of bricks was a skill best left to someone else!

Happy Days!!

I can hardly see the screen for tears of laughter! It brought back the memory of when my Dad had a load of bricks delivered to build a new garage. Full of enthusiasm, I leapt up on to the lorry and started to off-load the bricks to "the chain" at two bricks at a time.

The chain went Me > Lorry Driver > Dad > Brother (who was a bricky and knew how to stack bricks)!

It took only fifteen minutes to produce two black fingernails (Driver) a bruised ankle (Dad) and a black thumbnail (Brother) and "voila!" I had moved to the head of the chain where I discovered that I had suddenly learned how to stack bricks!

By the time the job was finished I had accumulated a black toenail, a severely bruised foot, numerous grazes to my hands and arms; and the knowledge that unloading a lorry-load of bricks was a skill best left to someone else!

Happy Days!!

two at a time, and dont spin them, just like a rugga ball lad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when i got it wrong they were kind enough to pass them back to me to try again

over arm!

Back