Co2 & other gas choices.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicB

Reaction score
I've got myself at long last 6.35kg of Co2 food quality gas.
I had a bit of trouble with the supplier and needed to call Adams gas direct who sorted it/them out for me.
Whilst on the phone to Adams gas, a manager started to explain to me that the pub trade now have a choice of at least three gas mixtures.
We never got around to the reason.
I'm sure someone here can explain the reason/benefits.
Apologies in advance if this has been asked before.
But the only stupid question is the question you don't ask.
N¡ck

This is a good short summary : https://www.cellartrainingcourse.co.uk/page11.html

Mixes with nitrogen mean smaller bubbles and a creamier mouthfeel - Guinness is the most famous, also smooth/creamflow bitters. It also allows higher pressures which can help get beer to the bar without a separate pump if the lines are long, although that's obviously less of a factor in homebrew settings.

Nitrogen mixes aren't common in homebrew, other than sometimes for stouts - you may need nitrogen-capable kit though.

If you're having to ask the question, probably just stick with 100% CO2 for now.

This is a good short summary : https://www.cellartrainingcourse.co.uk/page11.html

Mixes with nitrogen mean smaller bubbles and a creamier mouthfeel - Guinness is the most famous, also smooth/creamflow bitters. It also allows higher pressures which can help get beer to the bar without a separate pump if the lines are long, although that's obviously less of a factor in homebrew settings.

Nitrogen mixes aren't common in homebrew, other than sometimes for stouts - you may need nitrogen-capable kit though.

If you're having to ask the question, probably just stick with 100% CO2 for now.
Really good read (link) thank you that explains everything nicely.
Do breweries especially small ones experiment with the different mixtures and recommend a mixture before launching a new beer OR do they let the market find out what works best. OR is straight Co2 simply/mostly the gas of choice?
N¡ck

It varies, some brewers are real perfectionists when it comes to that kind of thing, but the reality is that they're at the mercy of pubs most of whom don't get much more sophisticated than "CO2 or 'Guinness gas' (30/70)" and don't even have the ability to vary the pressure.

In general it's safe to assume that other than the real hardcore beery places, pubs will have 100% CO2 and 30/70, so brewers tend to brew with that in mind, certainly CO2 is the default.

Back