CO2 Regulator Advice

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Jan 22, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 29, 2019 #21

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Landlord. Supporting Member

Hi!
    Would this adapter work?
    https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/cga320-paintball-co2-adapter-for-co2-regulators-p176.html
    EDIT: sorry, that wouldn't work.

2. Jan 29, 2019 #22

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Wrong way around. I think I've been guilty of hi-lighting this adapter recently too? It's for CO2 cylinders with CGA320 thread (common amongst the paintballing crowd apparently, but dedicated CO2 tanks with CGA320 thread seem prohibitively expensive) to a "normal" (UK) CO2 regulator (W21.8-14 thread).

I've had a quick look for "the other way around" (CGA320 threaded regulator to "normal" CO2 cylinder with W21.8-14 thread) and couldn't find one. Perhaps they don't exist? Perhaps CGA320 describes a female thread only, and the matching male thread has another designation?

cga320.jpg
    (EDIT: Another designation for the female thread is 830-14 NGO-RH-INT, apparently.)
    (EDIT2: I found one device that described US "CGA320" and the common UK "G1/2" (1/2" BSPP, it is 0.825" dia. 14TPI) in the same breath. But I found nothing to confirm the two threads are compatible.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. Jan 29, 2019 #23

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Hi @peebee
    How are you getting on with the miniature secondary regulators? Can you get a fine enough adjustment?
    The price is very competative; I know that they are not "pass-through" but that's easily solved with splitters.

4. Jan 29, 2019 #24

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

I've been using the Shako NR200 regulator (nearly*) exclusively for a 2 or 3 (or 4?) years now. For a fine increment gauge get the "L2" variant (0-2BAR), but I know someone with the "default" ("L8"?) variant (0.5-8BAR) who is well happy with them although thinks the scale on the gauge is a bit coarse (having a scale that goes to 8BAR). I'll use them down to 2-3PSI but they do start getting a bit dodgy ("sticky") this low down so I switch to these https://gasproducts.co.uk/50-150-mbar-clesse-propane-gas-regulator-brooder.html, which BES stock too. You only want 2PSI or less if you are a "Real-Ale" guzzler.

No, they are not "pass-through" ("terminal" devices if you like) but I've never found using splitters, or manifolds, on the feed ("bus") lines a problem (the primary regulator supplies the bus lines with a fixed 5BAR pressure). The made for purpose ("Pub") regulators are so antiquated by comparison.

* I've got Shako NUR regulators too, but believe me they are pretty kooky and you need to avoid them!

Bigcol49 likes this.
  5. Jan 29, 2019 #25

alsacebrew

alsacebrew

alsacebrew

Active Member Supporting Member

Hello @peebee and @Bigcol49, you are right, that adapter would not work unfortunately, it has a little valve pin in it.
    I reckon the best thing would be to take out the existing CGA320 fitting out from the Taprite regulator and replace it with this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N1L5VZB/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
    But apparently it is very difficult to remove the existing one from the regulator and given my lack of knowledge on pressure regulators, gas bottles etc. I didn’t want to risk it. I know that some HBSs in the UK used to sell taprite regulators with W21.8 fittings that fits UK/European gas bottles and I guess this is what they must have done. I’ve contacted Taprite twice and asked for their advice but haven’t received any replies.

6. Jan 29, 2019 #26

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Hi @alsacebrew
    I'm not 100% certain, but shouldn't you be looking for a British Standard BS 341 No.8 connector?

7. Jan 29, 2019 #27

alsacebrew

alsacebrew

alsacebrew

Active Member Supporting Member

From what I understand 21.8 and BS341 are compatible. Have a look at this post by @peebee

Bigcol49 likes this.
  8. Jan 30, 2019 #28

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Well had a squint locally for CO2, BOC via work didn’t work out as they were way to expensive, so went with Adams Gas. £55 deposit and £20 for a refill which I thought fair.

9. Jan 30, 2019 #29

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Hi!
    That's about average; I paid £45 deposit and £20 per "refill".

10. Feb 12, 2019 at 9:50 PM #30

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Well I thought I better give a bit of an update as I have now done my first keg.

The double TapRite regulator was great value I think, I know the Americans rate it, appears well built and the gauges easily allows adjustment to part of a psi. I like the double regulator as I will be able to run two, or four with y pieces, kegs at two different pressures.

On arrival, and as discussed above, I had to deal with the American thread nut but this was a simple case of unscrewing the feed pipe, slipping a uk nut on and refining. Works a treat now.

Everything else has been just great, the outlet from the regulator is 1/4” I think and the inlet on the JG fitting looks like 3/16th. My bit of tube went on the 1/4” like a dream, it appeared loose on the JG fitting so I lapped a bit of ptfe tape and it worked fine. I’ll need to sort this out next but as it stands all is good and if I turn the gas off there is no drop in pressure except a very small amount over a day or so which I guess is the beer absorbing some gas.

Now waiting to try the dispense and also fancy using the keg as an fv, but that’s for another time.

alsacebrew and -Bezza- like this.