CO2 Regulator - Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinymcfc

Reaction score
Hey all

So recently I’ve brewed up a lager and all has been going well. I kegged her up last week and went to stick some gas on her, when I turned my gas on (not used for 12m or so), there was gas coming from where the regulator attaches to the gas cylinder.

I took the regulator off and had a look, all seemed fine, so I reattached and still the same. I tightened her up as much as I could go without fear of cracking, very tight. And still the same issue.

As the regulator looked ship shape, I figured it must be the cylinder so I ordered a new one. That arrived today, I’ve hooked her up and low and behold...same issue. What’s strange to me is that the regulator appears fine, I’ll take a couple of pictures in a moment and fire these on this thread, but any help is appreciated.

Do I need a new regulator? Would some lube that I use on my legs help? Anything I’m missing?

Thanks all

Here’s some pictures of the regulator

Attachments

• 381D5D85-134E-4DCE-B015-27E516602ECC.jpeg
    381D5D85-134E-4DCE-B015-27E516602ECC.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 3585AFE5-C906-4E13-B4F8-EF6B4B73C5FA.jpeg
    3585AFE5-C906-4E13-B4F8-EF6B4B73C5FA.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 0B7E4D27-7029-446A-AFFB-142169E80127.jpeg
    0B7E4D27-7029-446A-AFFB-142169E80127.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 100
  • A89F1273-5CDD-46E3-B877-7BFA03FCD2BA.jpeg
    A89F1273-5CDD-46E3-B877-7BFA03FCD2BA.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 92
That white plastic washer is sacrificial. You can unscrew the end and replace it. The new one will mate to the shape of the cylinder and make a tight seal.

That white plastic washer is sacrificial. You can unscrew the end and replace it. The new one will mate to the shape of the cylinder and make a tight seal.
So we think that’s the culprit? Darn it!! Hopefully I can find one online that’ll deliver before weekend

Not saying definitely but I had a problem with my regulator leaking there - lost a whole cylinder of CO2.,,,

Cheers mate, what do you think of these, these look right?

Attachments

• 11A27442-124A-4B09-887C-85659734850D.png
    11A27442-124A-4B09-887C-85659734850D.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 92
Thanks again. I’ve messaged the seller to see if we can get them to me before the weekend!

Is it common to have this issue with regulators? Anything else it could be other than the washer?
Think you have just been unlucky, when I changed the CO2 in our pub we used to re use the little seals like in your original link from RLBS with no problem, I would only swap if it started leaking so as we changed bottles a lot more in the pub than you would ever do on your own setup, just think you have been unlucky, but even a small piece of dirt/grit may cause sealing problems so just have a good look on the reg and bottle to make sure it is clean

Think you have just been unlucky, when I changed the CO2 in our pub we used to re use the little seals like in your original link from RLBS with no problem, I would only swap if it started leaking so as we changed bottles a lot more in the pub than you would ever do on your own setup, just think you have been unlucky, but even a small piece of dirt/grit may cause sealing problems so just have a good look on the reg and bottle to make sure it is clean
Cheers mate. I contacted the ebay seller from the message above, he has kindly agreed to send them out today first class recorded so I’ll get them tomorrow - hopefully that’ll settle the issue!

Is the change an easy thing to do? I haven’t tried removing the white washer but it looked very secure on there. I usually look for YouTube videos but could see one on there!

Cheers mate. I contacted the ebay seller from the message above, he has kindly agreed to send them out today first class recorded so I’ll get them tomorrow - hopefully that’ll settle the issue!

Is the change an easy thing to do? I haven’t tried removing the white washer but it looked very secure on there. I usually look for YouTube videos but could see one on there!

Sounds like yours has hardened,not sure if putting it in boiling water would make it more pliable and get you out of jailtill your new ones turn up, but just prise it off with a small electrical screwdriver, and your new one will push on,but do check for any ****,even the smallest bit will cause you problems

Sounds like yours has hardened,not sure if putting it in boiling water would make it more pliable and get you out of jailtill your new ones turn up, but just prise it off with a small electrical screwdriver, and your new one will push on,but do check for any ****,even the smallest bit will cause you problems
Cheers. I don’t have an electric screwdriver, I’ll try a small knife later and see if I can get it off without causing damage.

Would PTFE tape help?
I don’t have any PTFE, closest I’ve got is insulation tape.

ill wait for these new washers to arrive tomorrow and if it works, I’ll be happy! Need to get a new brew on but reluctant until I’m all sorted with this last brew!

Also check for leakage using a mixture of washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the joint and look for bubbles around the joint. No bubbles = no leak :-))

Also check for leakage using a mixture of washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the joint and look for bubbles around the joint. No bubbles = no leak :-))
One of the first things I did buddy, it comes from the bottom of the where the regulator meets the canister...

If you can get that washer out with a small pointed object, try reversing it. I would stab it and then lever it out. The CO2 is at 900psi so the seal has to be perfect!

Thanks again. I’ve messaged the seller to see if we can get them to me before the weekend!

Is it common to have this issue with regulators? Anything else it could be other than the washer?
I had the same problem recently. Couldn't find any washers locally and had to wait a week for ebay delivery.
I found a rubber keg post O ring makes a fine substitute.

If you can get that washer out with a small pointed object, try reversing it. I would stab it and then lever it out. The CO2 is at 900psi so the seal has to be perfect!
Just took it off with relative ease, have it a wipe down and popped it back on, same issue. But what is worrying me is that the gas leak is coming from the same place, what’s the odds that I put it back on at the exact same way?!

I’ll do a short video soon and post it

Back