Coffee a new adventure for me

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not liking coffee very much. I used to drink loads of it but after a bad chest I some how couldn't stomach it any more...don't know why...
Unless it a number 12 out the machine in work ..it has a very feint coffee taste but is otherwise bland and dreadful...the tea is worse.

I'm a big fan of the stove top myself, a little pinch of salt helps bring the flavours out and softens some of the bitterness :thumba:

The "Kardomah Coffee Houses" were so named because adding a couple of Cardamom seeds when grinding the coffee adds a little "lift" to the coffee; just like a pinch of salt does.

However, I have to point out that not everyone likes the added flavour of cardamom or salt (e.g. SWMBO), so adding either of them to our coffee has become a rare treat for some of us!

PS

I wasn't complaining. Honestly! Just pointing something out!

Yep, it makes a lovely intense espresso which you can split and dilute as necessary. But it's much better as is, undiluted.

Thanks for explaining i wrongly assumed having watched the video you had to dilute it as it would be too strong.

I have a hario hand grinder and a stainless steel insulated cafetiere at home. Works very well. For work I've got a bodum travel press, which is brilliant; cafetiere and mug in one. Tried a friend's aeropress a few times after he bought different fancy grinds and it was like vending machine p***water, no matter how long he left it to stew. Very thin tasting and no flavour.

I have a hario hand grinder and a stainless steel insulated cafetiere at home. Works very well. For work I've got a bodum travel press, which is brilliant; cafetiere and mug in one. Tried a friend's aeropress a few times after he bought different fancy grinds and it was like vending machine p***water, no matter how long he left it to stew. Very thin tasting and no flavour.
I've got an aeropress and love it. You do need to grind the beans very finely though. I think that those stove top coffee makers are good, if you want strong bitter coffee. I'm pretty sure that more bitterness is extracted the hotter the water is, and of course you've got no control with one of those things.

However, I have to point out that not everyone likes the added flavour of cardamom or salt (e.g. SWMBO), so adding either of them to our coffee has become a rare treat for some of us!

That's true, salt does add an interesting texture that might not be to everyone's taste. For an extra treat I like to add calcium chloride instead of sea salt, just a couple of flakes in the cup adds a lovely smoothness athumb..
My tap water is very soft which I have a feeling extracts more acidic flavours.

I don't really know much about coffee but I wonder does water chemistry play a big part on the coffee forums as it does the brewing ones?

I reckon that the water must affect the brew!

I know that ordinary Columbian Coffee bought in Skegness tastes a lot better in France where we use bottled water ...

... but as we use a different coffee maker, it may have nothing at all to do with the water!

TBH my taste-buds are so shot that it has to be very different before I notice the difference. e.g. when SWMBO puts in the water but forgets to put in the coffee! Kid you not; and not just the one time either!

Same here Dutto in fact mine are so bad I gave up drinking coffee a while ago as the instant stuff has little taste hence my interest in this thread.

Back