Commercial beers and their claims…

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the very same conversation with my daughter last week when we walked past the bus stop advert, not sure she was interested!

You have to go a long way to beat Guinness when making **** up!
1683878132873.png

I started drinking at about 13, and I am certainly stronger than I was then, so there's possibly merit in the claim.
My mental wellbeing and liver function are potentially different, but thats for another thread

I walked past a poster yesterday for Madri with the slogan of something like the spirit or soul of Madrid…except it is as Spanish as Yorkshire pudding or whippets…invented, marketed and made by Coors in Yorkshire. What a load of nonsense but very clever marketing.
Just returned from a week's "field research" in Madrd. Never saw or heard of Madri. The bog standard beer is Mahou Clásica, which is a great session beer when the weather's in the mid 30s. Some bars like too serve it chilled so that it seems to have bits of Ice in it- rubbish- it's est served at normal lager temperature and guzzled ny the flagon. Mahou make an IPA, which isn't too bad, but the best IPA is by a small brewer whose name I'll have to look up.
Madri seems to be a collaboration between Coors and Sagri (never heard of them) a quick googling shows Sagri to be based in Toledo. In short: it's got nothing to do with Madrid and is probably Sh1'ite.

Seeing Madri everywhere recently, a couple of years ago I had never even heard of it. Never had it.
Yep…really pushing it…reminds me of the waves of Mexican, Japanese and then East Asian beers that suddenly popped up everywhere. Mind you I remember walking into one of those pubs that only do Factory beers and saw Doombar and thought…how did they get everywhere, then found out they had been bought out.

Just returned from a week's "field research" in Madrd. Never saw or heard of Madri. The bog standard beer is Mahou Clásica, which is a great session beer when the weather's in the mid 30s. Some bars like too serve it chilled so that it seems to have bits of Ice in it- rubbish- it's est served at normal lager temperature and guzzled ny the flagon. Mahou make an IPA, which isn't too bad, but the best IPA is by a small brewer whose name I'll have to look up.
Madri seems to be a collaboration between Coors and Sagri (never heard of them) a quick googling shows Sagri to be based in Toledo. In short: it's got nothing to do with Madrid and is probably Sh1'ite.
Somewhere in Spain there is a brewery making Flatcap Bitter with the tagline “the rhythm of Bradford”

Yet a juice bar in Wrexham was shut down and the owner subjected to legal proceedings by trading standards as some of his juice mixes had names like "brain food" or whatever which trading standards objected to..the naming were just plays on words and anyone with half a brain cell could see that. There was such questions about some brand "giving you wings" but they weren't interested...the bloke lost his business and house.

I am honestly kind of impressed it seems Coors has successfully created and marketed a 4.6% Larger and made it into to a best seller inside a few months. It would seem their is a La Sagra brewery which Coors bought out a few years back (so they could make the rather grandiose claim that and I quote from the Tesco website

Premium Lager
The La Sagra brewery was founded by Carlos Garcia, a first-generation brewer born in Madrid. He started La Sagra Brewery in 2011 in Toledo, on the outskirts of Madrid, a unique area of Spain, historically, a melting pot of 3 different cultures. Having seen first-hand the fusion that Madrid and the surrounding area embodies Carlos applies that ‘Fusion' philosophy to the beers he brews to create beers loved by all.

Hola,
Madrí Excepcional is a unique collaboration between the brewers of La Sagra and Molson Coors.
It has all the taste characteristics of a Mediterranean-style lager, full of flavour and aroma at 4.6% ABV, with a light golden colour.

Madrí is the traditional way of pronouncing Madrid.
Madrid is famous for the passion of its people and this passion is embodied by the “Chulapos”, a group of people in Spanish society in the 19th century who were famous for their elaborate style of dress and cheeky attitude. Today, the term is used to refer to anybody from Madrid and this style and attitude lives on in modern day Madrid.
So if you were wondering who that chap was on our bottles and cans - now you know!
¡Salud!

No mention that it is all being brewed in the UK and doesn’t seem to be sold in Spain at all. Do think this has the potential of backfiring but if nothing else suspect Madri will be used as a marketing case study for years to come.

https://www.timeout.com/uk/food-and-drink/what-is-madri-lager-and-how-did-it-take-over-british-pubs

Some sources say La Sagra (not Sagri) is based near Madrid e.g. Molson Coors and La Sagra Brewery to launch new lager, Madrí Excepcional, in the U.K. and Ireland

Although they call it a colab. Molson Coors is a part of La Sagra

I am honestly kind of impressed it seems Coors has successfully created and marketed a 4.6% Larger and made it into to a best seller inside a few months. It would seem their is a La Sagra brewery which Coors bought out a few years back (so they could make the rather grandiose claim that and I quote from the Tesco website

No mention that it is all being brewed in the UK and doesn’t seem to be sold in Spain at all. Do think this has the potential of backfiring but if nothing else suspect Madri will be used as a marketing case study for years to come.

https://www.timeout.com/uk/food-and-drink/what-is-madri-lager-and-how-did-it-take-over-british-pubs
"The beer is brewed in Molson Coors’ Tadcaster brewery in Yorkshire." according to Molson Coors and La Sagra Brewery to launch new lager, Madrí Excepcional, in the U.K. and Ireland

To remain on topic I'd like to point my ire in the general direction of Brewdog. Plenty of ludicrous claims from them over the years, but none more so than their entire premise of being "punk".

As always.... Get it up them.

Green King pubs were giving Madri away for free couple of months ago. Had my free one then back to the Neck Oil. Not impressed at all

Some sources say La Sagra (not Sagri) is based near Madrid e.g. Molson Coors and La Sagra Brewery to launch new lager, Madrí Excepcional, in the U.K. and Ireland

Although they call it a colab. Molson Coors is a part of La Sagra
Nearness is relative. Toledo is about 45 miles from Madrid and has a totally different character so it's like saying something made in Sheffield is the heart and soul of Manchester, and they're even closer!
Checked with middle son who has lived in Madrid for about 10 years. He's never seen it. So their claims are just borisisms.

Latest posts

Back