Complacency got the better of me

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
Hi All,

Haven't been on for a while, but still been brewing 🙂 and making pretty good alcoholic beverages.

Anyway started a Festival German Weiss last night, decent kit, so made sure everything was spot on (cleaned everything, made sure the yeast had come up to room temp etc. etc.). finished pouring in the last bottle of water and looked down to see the tap was leaking. I ONLY use a Coopers fermenter for the first fermentation, because they are the best (wind behind me, I'll write a review in the equipment section, my two pennies). ANYWAY... I must have ripped the red seal around the tap when i put it in, as it was dripping like a gooden. So I thought, OK I'll get one of my backup fermenters and chose a wilkos one (the same as nearly every other make of plastic fermenter). cleaned, transferred and took my OG, chucked in yeast. All good your thinking...

So before this brew, I'd made some turbo ciders (apple/cranbery & Apple/pineapple), good fun and got me using air locks. Air locks are probably the main reason I use the Coopers fermenter, bloody hate them. Back to the story....

Took the brew out to the fridge, attached the temp sensor and adjusted the controller, all good. Then a voice inside said "Wheat beers get lively, this will be risky in the Wilkos fermenter"........"ahh well it'll be alright" shut the garage door and went to bed.

Fast forward until an hour ago, say to my wife I better check the brew before I put my feet up (kids would not go to bed tonight...grrr..) and swing open the fridge, F**K! Look like someone had explosively shat everywhere....

Moral, use the method that has worked fine for the last 25 brews, don't be lazy and to make matters worse I had a brand new spare Coopers tap to use. It's now back in a Coopers fermenter.

Last edited:
I had a Coopers fermenter and it started leaking from the tap. Bought a new tap, problem didn't go away. I suspect they warp over time.

Other than that, yes they're fantastic.

Back