Cool box vs thermo pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibb58

Reaction score
I have already put a few new topics up trying to get info on ag equipment but the more I look the more I change my mind. And each time its getting more expensive :whistle: . Originally I was going to get the Colemans 36 cool box and make a copper manifold but then I came across the ss thermo pots with a false bottom. They are a lot of money, so are they really any better?

I use a coolbox type & it performs very well,but the Thermo pots are the Nads of mashing grain,they hold temperature for 90 mins without losing almost anything so are in fact better.What you have to do is ask yourself do i want to spend the extra & have Shiney :shock: & constant temp mashes or shall i stay with the coolbox & use the extra money saved on 15 brews or so.Personally i am staying with CB for now ;) but in the future TB will probably be aquired :tongue: :cheers: ken

Its an extremely hard decision lol :D ive seen that you can get a thermo pot off of french ebay at a really good price but it hasnt got the correct tap needed for brewing. Maybe it could be changed for the ball valve tap :wha:

tbh i bodged my way into AG barebones and has been plenty of fun, seems like its prohibition time everytime i spark it up- kinda adds to the fun. But then im not the kinda guy aims for perfection in these things- i like abit of variation- CB all the way atm

Hi Gibbs, yes you can get a thermo pot from ebay france or germany at a good price.Most people mod them by cutting the appropriate hole with a q max cutter & fit lever ball taps,then you need a false bottom(STAINLESS to keep the shiney theme) & a manifold of some description. It is all easy enough to do but costly & depends how much time you want to spend on it,lots of "how to guides on the forum " :cheers:

yes if you have a false bottom with a connection & tubing to the back of the tap,no if you have something like the viking homebrew jobby as it has a false bottom above a steel braid strainer.Lots of different configurations out there. :cheers:

Ferm hit the nail on the head +1.
Nothing wrong with a converted cool box, good ones perform very well with no problem. :D
It depends what you want, your call. But you don't have to spend loads of money to produce good beer, I should know, used the kit below for sixty odd brews. :D Till the safety Officer got wind of it. :lol: Note high efficiency boiler lagging ;)

4542978956_1971886263.jpg

Happy days. :D
S

Latest posts

Back