Cooling - Am I doing anything wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottlesCansCraft

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 25l stock pot as my kettle for the boil of my brews. Once I'm done, I make an ice bath in the sink, whirlpool my hops, and cool down the wort through that method for pitching. It's not the fastest in the world, but it means a low cost suloution for me for now.

What I wanted to ask was, is there any issues with having an open stock pot and stirring occasionally? I had recently watched a youtube clip where post-whirlpool they covered up the pot so that hop volatiles wouldn't be lost?

Hi,

I have a 25l stock pot as my kettle for the boil of my brews. Once I'm done, I make an ice bath in the sink, whirlpool my hops, and cool down the wort through that method for pitching. It's not the fastest in the world, but it means a low cost suloution for me for now.

What I wanted to ask was, is there any issues with having an open stock pot and stirring occasionally? I had recently watched a youtube clip where post-whirlpool they covered up the pot so that hop volatiles wouldn't be lost?
No, as long as the spoon or whatever you're using to stir is sanitised you're fine.

If it's open then there is a risk of things (dander, insects, etc) getting into the wort from the air. I would let it cool a bit then cover with foil, just lift it now and again to stir).

Latest posts

Back