Coopers European at "room" temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gredawarha

Reaction score
Hello all

I have been drewing coopers kits for 6/7 months now and enjoying it.

I am wondering if anyone has brewed the Coopers European Lager without controlling the temperature? My kitchen is generally 18-20c, I appreciate that this brew should be fermented at lower temperatures but I am wondering if it is still worth doing?

What do you good folk think?

I shouldnt worry about the temp thing too much. You'l get a good pint at 20c just dont let it go much above that. You tried sticking your FV in a large bucket of cold water and putting a towel around it to soak the water up the sides?

GN

Been thinking about creating a "swamp cooler" by placing the FV in a bigger bucket with water and bottles of ice. NOt sure if the wife will be happy with me taking up more room in the kitchen though!

Just enjoying a Coopers Euro at the moment that took 3 weeks to ferment, it was way before the heatwave when temps were about 17degC during the day and a lot cooler at night, it is crystal clear but took a long time to condition, well worth the wait.

Good stuff. Well I have a coopers Australian that needs to be brewed but after that I shall buy some European from my local home brew store and give it a go. Any opinions on what fermentables to use with the European, I tend to use 750g of brewing sugar and 250g of light spray malt with my Australian although I occasional add abit more if I have any left over.

Thanks

The Ginger Ninja said:
I shouldnt worry about the temp thing too much. You'l get a good pint at 20c just dont let it go much above that. You tried sticking your FV in a large bucket of cold water and putting a towel around it to soak the water up the sides?

Why is this? Isn't common opinion theat lager yeast needs fermenting at about 12 degrees, else you get soemthing not very nice?

Have i missed something? I'm no lager expert, but i've done a couple of kits with lager yeast.

Coopers European is the one Coopers kit supplied with Lager yeast (And not enough) so you will not get the clean crisp flavours that you would get with fermenting it cool and pitching a proper amount of yeast . . . As SC says fermenting a lager yeast above its preferred temperature range tends to produce worse flavours than using a neutral ale yeast at the same temperature.

If you have no temperature control then use something like Nottingham at your ambient temps.

As for additional fermentables I've found the European lager to be best with any white sugar only, Adding Dry Malt Extract darkens the kit (Even Muntons Extra Light) and introduces some unpleasant tastes

Aleman said:
Coopers European is the one Coopers kit supplied with Lager yeast

Actually, the Pilsner kit also comes with lager yeast. I am going to bottle mine on saturday. I didn't use the kit yeast, but bought extra lager yeast. it's been dry hopped with amarillo and motueka.

This weekend i am going to do the Coopers European lager for a second time, but this time I am going to do it properly and proper temperatures. I have 14g of dried yeast from the european lager sachet and the pilsner sachet. it was only be 2nd or 3rd kit when i did it first time, had no sort of temeprature control, and didn't know what I was doing. didn't turn out too bad in the end, though was very dry.

I agree with Aleman on just adding sugar as I've done a few with Beer enancer and they were too malty, just started drinking one that I brewed with sugar, fermented at around 15 - 17 degC for two weeks and left to condition for 3 weeks and it's crisper, drop clear and better in my opinion

Morning all

I should be collecting a can of European Lager from my local home brew store today, based on the previous comments I think I shall use 1kg of brewing sugar only. I intend to submerge my FV into a large plastic container full of cold water and use bottle of frozen water to keep the temperature low (rotating the bottles for new frozen ones as they thaw).

Now normally when doing my Coopers kits that come with Ale yeast I leave the FV for two weeks, I have found that one week was just not enough and I only get time at the weekend to brew/bottle. Bearing in mind that this is a lager yeast and should ferment slower than ale yeast how does leaving it three weeks in the FV sound?

As per usual I appreciate any comments.

Ta

Today cracked open one of the Euros. Been in the bottle since 01/10/11 so 6 weeks. I am really please with the result. Much crisper than the Australian which I guess is due to the low temp and lager yeast.

Thanks for all that helped

I have a Coopers Mexican Cerveza that I bottled about10 months ago..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Lovely stuff.
:cheers:

Hello all

Ive been drinking my Euro and the last few bottles have had a lot of sediment, yeasty slush in them. When brewing other Coopers cans the last one or two bottles have been like this but not to the same degree or number.

I am wondering if the problem lies in my 'cold brewing technique' my euro ferments in an ice bath on the floor. When I bottled it I had to lift it up and onto the counter. Perhaps this disturbed the sediment base to such a degree to cause the issue I have now?

Has anyone else found this? ANd what do you think is an appropriate time to leave it on the counter before bottling? 24 hours?

Appreciate any thoughts.

EDIT: I also started drinking htem after maybe only 5/6 weeks in the bottle, perhaps this has not been long enought for the yeast to compact?

Latest posts

Back