Coopers Ginger Beer Kit and the Geordie Kit lager Kit ..help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdpeake

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I have recently started up homebrewing again after...mmmm, along time, so naturally I am going to make mistakes, so to date: I have brewed a rather cheap Geordie lager kit and to be honest I have been struggling with it on completion, the taste is slightly metalic and the morning after is slightly uncomfortable to say the least , very heavy head and serious dehydration and that's only after three pints so its a new one on me.

The other kit, the Coopers Ginger Beer, I know that it is a low percentage beverage on completion but I cant help but think that it lacks body so for me, unfortunately I find myself sitting on the sofa feeling just a bit deflated.

My questions are: what kits should I be looking at for a nice clean Mediterranean lager styled brew and is there a future for Coopers Ginger Beer am I doing something wrong or is there something that I can do to improve the body issues:).

My thanks in advance fellow suppers.. :cheers:

How long did you leave the lager before trying it? I found my first lager (Youngs) was ok after a month and much better after 2.

I,may have been short by a few days of a month so perhaps that was the problem, thank-you for replying.

You should get better results and more body with a 2 can kit, something like the Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner...more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Or with a one can kit try using Dried Malt Extract in place of some of the sugar or use Beer Kit Enhancer (ready mixed sugar and DME) instead of sugar.

Then you should be trying to ferment at a fairly cool temperature.. max about 20 degrees. If it's real lager yeast that came with your kit you could go a lot lower.

i have done a couple od similar kits and just put the ginger beer on today, just to keep the mrs happy but I will sample one or two as well, there is a kit I have gerd about its called mexican something and if you add I think spayed wheat in stead of sugar it come out like San migel. I doing this when my ginger beer is finished.

I am sure some one will come up with the name for you.

Good luck :rofl:

I would recommend the coopers mexican cerveza with 500g dextrose and 500g of light malt extract or can of light malt extract...it's a very nice light lager.
But also try the coopers European Lager with the same as above...you will not be dissapointed.

last time i did the Geordie Kit lager Kit was over 20 years ago...might give it another go and remember the good times.

do some people drop half a camden tablet in 25 ltr of water night befour to get rid of some thing to stop that taste i think then use it next day to start the brew :wha: :thumb:

i started coopers mexican cerveza sunday but added a 1kg bag of muntstones brew ehancer ?????? did you try that if so wot was it like m8 ??????? :cheers:

equiliser said:
I would recommend the coopers mexican cerveza with 500g dextrose and 500g of light malt extract or can of light malt extract...it's a very nice light lager.
But also try the coopers European Lager with the same as above...you will not be dissapointed.

last time i did the Geordie Kit lager Kit was over 20 years ago...might give it another go and remember the good times.

never tried the muntons brew enhancer but would recommend either a brew enhancer or malt with every brew
If you brew with just a kit and a 1kg of sugar/dextrose it's very thin.

Try other fermentables instead of sugars to add something into the mix ie Honey, treacle golden syrup or even maple syrup....just to stir things up.

A time to rejoice, the advice has been taken and patience has proven to show that the beer is beautiful to taste, my thanks to you all.

Back