Coopers Irish stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the coopers kit and got SG of 1038
I used
Coopers Irish Stout Kit 1.7kg
500g Light DME
250g Extra Dark DME
250g Crisp Chocolate Malt - steeped for 30 min a @ 66c, 1.5ltr water, rinsed with 2ltr water @ 75c, boiled for 30min
CML BEòIR yeast pitched @ 18c
Fermenting at 16c
Made slightly short at 20.5 LTRs
Water I used tap water treated with sodium metabisulfite left for 24hrs. I have pretty soft water being in West of Scotland so maybe not best for stout tbh

Bubbling away nicely just now, CML yeast works at lower temp and I have had good success with their yeast so tried it.
I was starting to think I need to add maltodextrin or and bi carb(my waters low at 55ppm?)

I made a calcium chloride adjustment on this brew as I thought the sulphate/chloride ratio was off, to improve mouth feel etc.

Anyhow this coopers irish stout Ive just recently done, is now into its 3rd week of conditioning kegged(party keg 5ltrs) 3xkeg the rest bottled, been unimpressed with the results over the last week, decided to stick 1 of the kegs in fridge...12hrs later sampled..better than bottled but still bit muh...fast forward 24hrs🤯🤯🤯 WTF this is a different brew, if id sampled this last week or even yesterday Id have been happy, Im now thinking that the 36hrs in the fridge has aloud more co2 absorption or something???

Back