Coopers Julebryg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sone

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I wanted to get this going for christmas time - http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/julebryg. I was going to use a coopers dark ale kit with everything else mentioned. Have a couple of questions though:

1) I have 250g of crystal malt lying around, would it be ok to add if I steeped it before boiling everything or should I leave it out?

2) Would this benefit from dry hopping with the same hops (saaz). If so how much should I use?

Excuse my ignorance but I've only just started adding extras to kits :thumb:

1) If you like i guess, there's a decent amount in the dark ale kit and amber malt, but it won't hurt it.

2) I wouldn't personally. You want the malt and spice flavours to shine through, hops will confuse things too much and it's out of style for a winter ale.

Great, thanks! Will leave the dry hopping and just add the crystal malt :thumb:

I made this last year using the coopers English bitter, and used crystal malt too. 150g iirc. Came out really nice... Took a few good months to get to its best, so if I were you, brewing by June at the latest would've been better. But should still be ok for Christmas, will just be better as a winter warmer in February :p

Yeah I realised it would have been better to get this on earlier but hopefully should still be good :D Will update how it all goes, glad to hear it turns out nice! Cheers :thumb:

:D Could be an idea to keep a couple back until next year, well try at least! :D

Started this yesterday, swapped the yeast for Safale S04 and it has taken off like a rocket! Krausen has reached the lid of the fv and covered it on the inside, it hasn't escaped out yet.

Should I replace the lid or just leave it as it is for 2 weeks until bottling? Everything was sterilised with star san :thumb:

have a look in. i'd bet that the fermentation has subsided a bit, if so just replace the lid and leave it, totally worry free :thumb:

if not, you could always attach a blow off tube...

Cheers, should have said that I don't have an airlock fitted in this fv so I just don't fully snap the lid down. I can tell fermentation has subsided already, would you still replace the lid? I suppose nothing should happen, just looks a bit messy :D

Back