Coopers Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMick

Reaction score
Got my Coopers Stout on just now. Used 1kg dark muscovado sugar and 300g of dark DME. Brewed short to 18 litres. OG was 1059 so going for a strongish brew.

Sounds good, had one from my batch of coppers stout. Think it needs something like the dark sugar, or chocolate nibs but good for 1st stout brew. Only went with the instructions to find out what the base flavour versions like. Good OG will be big hitter for sure.

Hi ya,I've just started this kit last night. First beer kit ever! Ive used 1kg brew sugar, 500g of enhancer and 454kg of black treacle also 150g of golden syrup (it was in the cupboard next to the black stuff) Made it up to 22ltr and SG was 1056 so should be a good brew.

Ended up bottling this with 3/4 tsp of sugar per 500 ml and adding a "coffee toddy" as found on YouTube somewhere. By far my best brew yet after 3 weeks in the bottle.

Please keep the updates coming lads. This was my first brew and I have a real soft spot for it.
My first was cautious; 1kg BKE + 250g white sugar (purely for added abv) and 250g Holland&Barrett extract of malt. The last mentioned seems to divide opinion radically, but my stout turned out delicious.
I've just got another underway:
1 Coopers Stout kit
1 kg BKE
1 Tin black treacle
250g white sugar
250g demerara
250g dextrose
Projected abv is around the 7% mark. Fingers crossed...

BigMick, what's a "coffee toddy"? And how much do you think it contributed to the success of your brew?

what's a "coffee toddy"? And how much do you think it contributed to the success of your brew?

It is ground coffee mixed with cold water, left overnight and then strained and added to secondary or,as I did, straight into the bottle.
Search YouTube for espresso stout and that should turn up the one I watched.

It has added a definite coffee flavour, rather than coffee "notes", to my stout, but some bottles have too much coffee (experimenting) so go easy if you do give it a try.

Hi,

I'm new to brewing.

I Just put 38 bottles of Coopers Irish Stout under the stairs for conditioning.

I lost one bottle, the cap leaked, such a crying shame.

I just tried a couple of bottles today, after 12 days in the bottles, as it's the first time I've brewed Stout.

Happy Days !!!!!
I can't believe how good it tastes.
It was worth the effort it, phew !!!

Not sure I can leave it under the stairs until Christmas, but I'll try.

Recipe :

Coopers Irish Stout
500g DME
300g Dextrose
1 Jar Honey

Still Brewing :-

MakeYourOwnBeer (IPA) - Standard Recipe, Kegged in King Keg. Transferred to keg 29th Nov.
Muntons Gold ( Old English Bitter ), still in primary, Standard Recipe, Started 4th December.

I know labeling is a bit fancy, but it is my first bottle.

Regards
Tibbs

Coopers Irish Stout.JPG

Looking good. Give it some more time in the nice dark cupboard and it'll taste even better :-? The question is can you leave it alone? :-)

Back