Corking........a how to please??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbotez

Regular.
Reaction score
Got me a hand corker today and some recomended (by the LHBS geeza :geek: ) corks ready for my first ever bottling session on saturday :party: .

Question is, do i need to do anything to the corks proir to shoving them in the bottle? :hmm:

I've seen on here that they need to be soaked, the LHBS man said not to cause they are treated with sillycon (silicon) or something so as you can imagine, epic :? :wha:

The corks are very dense by the way

What type of hand corker you got ??? if its a lever 1 then waxed are ok if its asmall push in 1 then you need normal corks which need to be soaked

If the bloke from Blackheath sold you those corks and that corker, if it splits you can take it back as unfit for purpose.

I use those corks in a lever-type corker, but even so I like to wet them first. Crush a campden into about 250ml of water in a jug and give them a quick dunk.

If they don't go all the way into the bottle, have beside you a suitable piece of dowel (or similar) and a hammer to give them an extra bit of persuasion.

Also, soak a couple of sheets of kitchen roll in the sulphite solution and stuff that down the corker for a few minutes before you use it.

One little tip...
Before putting the cork in, put a strong (6") piece of thread into the neck of the bottle; this will allow a bit of air out as the cork goes in. When removing the thread, wrap some around a spoon / fork/ pencil or whatever to help extract it.

Marsie said:
One little tip...
Before putting the cork in, put a strong (6") piece of thread into the neck of the bottle; this will allow a bit of air out as the cork goes in. When removing the thread, wrap some around a spoon / fork/ pencil or whatever to help extract it.
:thumb:
Choose a thread which isn't going to shed fibres in the process and sterilise it before use.

Latest posts

Back