Country Wines from Last Year.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramps Vest

Reaction score
I have 6 DJ's of differant country wines that are bulk aging.
My question is about trying a sample of them - 2 or 3 are not topped right up to the neck and are about an inch below that.
I read alot of comments on the forum about topping right up so there is less, or no head space above, hence the oxygen cannot ruin the wine.
Am i ok to try these wines? will it be ok to stuff the bung back in if they need longer? :hmm:
TV.

Well I test mine from time to time, usually a quick slurp through a drinking straw, being careful to remove the straw while I'm still sucking so as not to dribble back down it.

And if the level's only an inch or so below the neck that probably isn't going to hurt, but you can always add a splash of boiled water or some grape juice.

Cheers Mole - what part of Kiddy are you from? do you ever egt to the Real Ale mecca that is Sedgley?

While there is much to be said in favour of bulk ageing, there is a role for further bottle ageing too, as in commercial practice. Some inter action with oxygen is actually a good thing. For example, I had some dandelion wine which had a bit of sediment and an unpleasant flavour after a few months. Racking and bottling turned it into really pleasant wine.

Tony - Yes i agree. I have noticed that when you open a bottle of wine, either commercially bought, or a home made one, when you open it and have some out of the bottle and then put a top on it, it can actually taste better the 2nd or 3rd night in.
I had a bottle of Cab Sav at home 2 weeks ago and put a stopper in it and it went in the fridge for a good 5 days. Took it out and left it to breath and get to room temperature and it was far better on the next opening.
This can only be on the lines of what you say regarding oxygen in take.
I am going to try all of those country wines tonight to see and taste what has been happening.

Tramps Vest said:
Cheers Mole - what part of Kiddy are you from? do you ever get to the Real Ale mecca that is Sedgley?
I used to, back in my dim and distant past, but real ale pubs aren't much of an attraction when you've got to drive.

I now live in the Greenhill area of Kiddy (between the Yew Tree and the Land Oak, turn left) but I'm originally from K'ford so Sedgley and Gornal were regular watering holes.

To be honest, nowadays we rarely seem to go to pubs at all, unless we're out on the canals.

Yeah I know that area well as the wife's brothers son lives just up the way from you and I pass the land oak most weekends to fish the rivers severn and stour.
As for boozers on the canal, my fave is just off the cut at Caunsall, the anchor, great place with fab beer, cider and cobs.
You obviously know the area well coming from K'ford.
I don't blame you not going out as every where is to bloody expensive! But if you are in Stourport on a Saturday teatime call in the Angel and say hello as we end up there after fishing. I will get you a beer for answering my questions!

Tramps Vest said:
As for boozers on the canal, my fave is just off the cut at Caunsall, the anchor, great place with fab beer, cider and cobs.

Fantastic cider from the barrel on the bar. We once bought eight pints (in all fairness, there were eight of us), and not one pint matched another in colour or cloudiness... That was probably about 10 years ago now though.

having been born in the midlands, and soent far too much time in Devon it is heartwarming to hear the word 'cob' again. It is not a roll, it is not a bap or a fekin ciabbatawhatever, its a cob :clap:

I thought 'cob' might start something... where I grew up, a cob had a bit of a crust, a roll didn't. Brizzl, that was.

Ha ha ha, who would believe that the crusty little creation that is a cob could create such food passion! All over the country their called different things, but here in the black country, they will always be cobs. Magic little things, especially with cheese and wine and beer and cider!

It really is quite amazing the number of different regional terms there are for bread products.

I quite agree, if it's crusty it's a cob, but if it's soft it's a bap.

Tried all the wines.
In order of likeness, they are,
1- elderberry - this is supposed to take along time to come good, well 2013 must of been a strange year then as this is a very good wine now after 5 months in the demi. Very mellow, great fruit flavour and smells lovely.
2- Apple and BlackBerry - the Apple flavour has come through rather well, whilst visually it looks really clear and crisp in the glass. This needs a couple of more months to age further, but all round, it's good.
3- damson - has a really stubborn pectin haze and tastes a bit thin. I won't give up on it yet, as it does have an ok flavour.
4- parsnip - rocket fuel! Looks strong, smells strong and tastes strong, needs longer to mature.
Overall, they are good to make and cost next to nothing as all the fruit and veg were foraged. I would look to alter the damson recipe a bit this year, whilst the Apple and BlackBerry will definitely get done again.

Tramps Vest said:
Tried all the wines.
In order of likeness, they are,
1- elderberry - this is supposed to take along time to come good, well 2013 must of been a strange year then as this is a very good wine now after 5 months in the demi. Very mellow, great fruit flavour and smells lovely.
2- Apple and BlackBerry - the Apple flavour has come through rather well, whilst visually it looks really clear and crisp in the glass. This needs a couple of more months to age further, but all round, it's good.
3- damson - has a really stubborn pectin haze and tastes a bit thin. I won't give up on it yet, as it does have an ok flavour.
4- parsnip - rocket fuel! Looks strong, smells strong and tastes strong, needs longer to mature.
Overall, they are good to make and cost next to nothing as all the fruit and veg were foraged. I would look to alter the damson recipe a bit this year, whilst the Apple and BlackBerry will definitely get done again.

Yeh, my '13 elderberry got good while still pretty young. And I got all the berries off one tree in one visit instead fo touring the village over a couple of days. Odd year all round - blackberry glut too.
You need to be careful with the sugar in parsnip, a lot of older recipes are either stupidly strong or intended to finish rather sweet

Yes, this is very strong and sweet also.
It is basically a CJ Berry recipe and I have read quite a few times that these older recipes had high sugar content levels.
All is not lost though, albeit that there are 3 Demi John's of this - I am planning a live music, barbecue and curry, plus home made wine gig at my house this summer. I was thinking about using this parsnip as the basis of a fruit punch? That will carry a big punch!
That should do a few things along the lines of getting everyone enjoying themselves, whilst making my guitar and singing sound better! (Plus a few others).

Just noticed - I have Morphed into a Mild Man, from a Water Boy!
're born at last! And all quite painless!
I may have to think about changing my string vest, but then again - nah, I'll leave it for a few weeks!

You must have snoozed through your Shandy Pants stage then, sleep posting from 25 to 50 posts is quite impressive. ;)

It sounds like I should climb through the just under my stairs to test my elderberry and blackberry

Although that brings on the worrying possibility of having to bottle 10-12 gallons of wine. :doh:

Back