Crossmyloof emails are oddly personal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them for hops, but last I saw they were really expensine for grain.

This had me thinking when you posted it.

So most places charge for delivery and they can vary, I usually go to MM for everything but then realised that I wasn't happy paying 7 odd quid every time for delivery.

The MM malts vary in price whereas CML don't appear to.

I did a very quick comparison between the two and this is not complete by any means.

MM for 5kg of Pilsner Malt best Malz = £8.00 + £7.20 = £15.20

CML for 5kg of Pilsner Malt (unknown) = £14.45 delivered.

CML don't change the price depending on the grain. I've yet to brew with CML grain but if its decent then I think I may have a new regular.

So most places charge for delivery and they can vary, I usually go to MM for everything but then realised that I wasn't happy paying 7 odd quid every time for delivery.

I did a very quick comparison between the two and this is not complete by any means.

CML don't change the price depending on the grain. I've yet to brew with CML grain but if its decent then I think I may have a new regular.

Chuck in there your hops which you get on a regular basis then surely there is a definite price difference in favour of CML?

And 50p for next day delivery!

No complaints

I've used their hops and yeasts for quite a while. The Kolsch, Wheat and Cali are very good. The Real ale yeast is good if you are kegging but if you are bottling I find it does not Flocculate ( it stirs up even with a steady pour for the last inch in the bottle which can be annoying with a lighter coloured beer)as well as Gervin(Wilko) which I tend to use as my go to british style beers. The Us pale is similar a good yeast but again best for kegging as this does the same as the Real ale yeast

I think it's the small quantities which throw me £3.95 for 500g and £5.45 for a kilo are way in excess of other seller which average under £1.50 / kg for base malts and between £1.50 - £2.50 for speciality malts. I guess it's also because I'm used to buying in bulk so the shipping is spread out more.

Ah, something I missed before is that you are charged by your total order weight and tell them how to split it. So 10 kg split many ways comes to £18.70 which is a good deal. Thanks.

I have had some good results with their yeasts and the Kolsch was nice a bit a bready which for my money is bang on the style. Used a number of other yeast too and plan to use the California Common one next. I note that their yeast range does change so I guess the yeast available is directly related to the projects they are working on. Never had a problem with their hops at all and when I have bought hops elsewhere I used the Lille Saison before Christmas and had a brew which I would call a but funky at around 7.5%. I loved it and so did the family on Christmas Day. Definitely, need to make that beer again.

Latest posts

Back