Crossmyloof

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right I have just had a taste of the Tropical England/Harlequin hop English IPA and the results I know are subjective.
I got a orange taste with underlying Rhubarb and strawberry taste, my wife said it was stronger rhubarb with a gooseberry that crept in as a aftertaste.
Whatever people get it is as I said subjective but it makes a really nice pale or IPA with more fruitiness than I have had with any other English hops so its got a really good thumbs up from me.
You could use these hops as a base for a fruit beer such as Mango Peach etc if you wanted to as its got the fruitiness to back it up

I made a single hop batch of pale ale with Godiva, which I was drinking happily a couple of evenings ago until one of the lads at the table piped up "mushy peas", And, yes, it has. Not a vegetal off-flavour, but the unmistakable fragrance of finely confected mushy peas. Absolutely nothing wrong with the beer and we continued to drink our fill. Has anybody else used this hop on its own?

Get some strange tastes from hops. I think they use Godiva in the Tropical England mix @ CML

I made a single hop batch of pale ale with Godiva, which I was drinking happily a couple of evenings ago until one of the lads at the table piped up "mushy peas", And, yes, it has. Not a vegetal off-flavour, but the unmistakable fragrance of finely confected mushy peas. Absolutely nothing wrong with the beer and we continued to drink our fill. Has anybody else used this hop on its own?
Time to get the meat pies out!
Bliss.

I've got the Tropical England kit lined up to brew next and the instructions about dry hopping have me scratching my head, says to dry hop between day 1 and 14. Reading around on the forum I've decided I'll stick them in between days 5 and 7 after primary fermentation finishes and leave until two weeks is up. Does this seem right?

Should I use a bag or just chuck them in? I'll be bottling. I usually rack to a bottling bucket but have been told to try bottling straight from fermenter this time.

I've got the Tropical England kit lined up to brew next and the instructions about dry hopping have me scratching my head, says to dry hop between day 1 and 14. Reading around on the forum I've decided I'll stick them in between days 5 and 7 after primary fermentation finishes and leave until two weeks is up. Does this seem right?

Should I use a bag or just chuck them in? I'll be bottling. I usually rack to a bottling bucket but have been told to try bottling straight from fermenter this time.
As I understood the instructions it’s a case of adding the dry hops at the same time as the yeast so on day 1 and leaving throughout the ferment.

I do not agree with adding a dry hop at the point of fermentation starting but at the point when the first part of fermentation is dropping from vigorous to steady say day 4/5 is a general time for me.
Reasons are that vigorous fermentation will strip the flavours away from the hops also I prefer to add my hops when CO2 is still being produced to protect against oxidisation when they are added rather than after fermentation has finished which risks oxidisation also although it does not hurt to leave hops in for say a week the optimisation of dry hopping is 3/4 days so not essential to hop for that long.
These are my thoughts and suggest that all brewers read up and make a judgement that suits their method

Cheers for replies - I'll have a think about it and make an executive decision, it does sound like the instructions suggest day one but logically day 4/5 seems more widely accepted as a good time to dry hop.

If I had the space I'd be tempted to try a split batch, maybe one for after the move when I obtain a man cave.

CML are great. Some of their hop varieties are a tad dearer than other sources, but then there's free postage. Even so, I found their Nectaron to be cheaper than the only other well-known supplier. Their yeasts are first class and the cheapest I've found. Subtract the multi-packet discount and they're exceptional value for money. While I don't get free delivery to France, I suspect the cost of UK postage is deducted as it's peanuts compared even with French postage.
Add to all that, a follow up email with a bit of news and a chat makes for great customer relations. The only other person I know of who does that is Dermot at the Beer Co in Victoria.
Well done CML.

I do not agree with adding a dry hop at the point of fermentation starting but at the point when the first part of fermentation is dropping from vigorous to steady say day 4/5 is a general time for me.
Reasons are that vigorous fermentation will strip the flavours away from the hops also I prefer to add my hops when CO2 is still being produced to protect against oxidisation when they are added rather than after fermentation has finished which risks oxidisation also although it does not hurt to leave hops in for say a week the optimisation of dry hopping is 3/4 days so not essential to hop for that long.
These are my thoughts and suggest that all brewers read up and make a judgement that suits their method
I must admit the instructions for this kit surprised me with the dry hopping but it did seem to work. Without doing a side by side comparison I cannot say if dry hopping the more traditional way after the vigorous fermentation has finished would have made a notable difference.

Regardless of that I will say that the Tropical England was one of the nicest all grain kit beers Crossmyloof does.

I use the Tropical England hops in quite few brews and have done since they were available.
I use them as a base for a Fruit IPA say 150g in a whirlpool plus the fruit you want added to secondary.
Rhubarb and Strawberry
Aldi frozen Tropical Smoothie mix etc
The wife loves them

Back