Crystal malts - UK Variants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
When looking at US recipes they often mention Crystal 10L, 20L etc etc.

What is the best thing to search for when looking for UK equivalents? I understand that the figure relates to the lovibond rating and that if I divide the EBC by 1.9 I get there (roughly)... is that all there is to it?

So for crystal 10L I'm basically looking for some kind of crystal malt with an EBC of approx 20?

Struggling a bit when trying to source it on the malt miller.

Cheers

sadly we just don't have the options they have. 1kg of 10L won't give the same as 100g of 100L...the higher the number gets, the toastier the malty flavour gets.

we have regular crystal (quite light,) caragold (almost pale) and high colour crystal (darker) at our disposal, maybe a few more I don't know about. follow that with a mix of amber malt for biscuity flavour and black malt for deepening colour without flavour, and you should be able to replicate most things to a decent standard. but as for the 10 or so varients in beersmith, we just don't have them :lol:

I just use the guide colours on TMM's website and match it up to the colour in Beersmith for the "nnL" ones given...

:thumb:

Thanks folks :D

I'm lucky in that I'm after 10L for just now, which seems the easiest one to replicate :)

Barley bottom have quite a few and all the weyermann cara malts (not carafa) are crystal malts and they offer different "colours".

F

Latest posts

Back