Cyser questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseljockey

Regular.
Reaction score
Boracayisbeautiful Hi...

How longs a bit of string?? just sit back and wait...I know it hard and you just want to drink it....but get another one on now...you'll have to hope Moley see this post he's da man when it comes to this stuff :thumb:

Dieseljockey said:
you'll have to hope Moley see this post he's da man when it comes to this stuff
No he isn't :nono:

Sorry Boracay, despite the hype, I can't advise on ciders and have made very little mead.

If you add a campden tablet before bottling it will kill the yeast and therefore you will get no carbonation in your bottles. If your happy with still cider that is. :D

Welcome to the forum Boracayisbeautiful.
Do a forum search on turbo and you will find all you what to know, lots of thread on it.
With 1000 grams of honey, not doubt it will come out very strong, but not necessarily sweet as the sugars will ferment out to give the high alcohol content, maybe to high to be pleasant.
One big mistake you have made is only doing a gallon, you need to think big with turbo.............. :D
Maybe a good idea to start small and when you have sorted the process go big then. ;)
All the answer will come with a search, as I said

Moley said:
Dieseljockey said:
you'll have to hope Moley see this post he's da man when it comes to this stuff
No he isn't :nono:

Sorry Boracay, despite the hype, I can't advise on ciders and have made very little mead.

Sorry about that...thought you did cider/wine Moley....won't do it again...

Hang on Springer, I think we're missing something here, with a kilo of honey this isn't going to be a turbo, and even with nutrients added, fermentation could take a while.

Boracay: Did you take an Original Gravity reading?

Also, is there a comma missing below, as in “still, fairly sweet and quite strong” or something which remains fairly sweet? Is this intended to be flat or fizzy?
Boracayisbeautiful said:
I am wanting something still fairly sweet and quite strong.

DJ: I do juice wines and country wines, but not grape wines, not cider, and even I don't have the patience for mead.

You could have a look at my col harrison mead post. I waited 2 months before racking, then another 2 and after another 2, bottled. Juts racked each time onto a crushed campden tab per gallon.

This is no turbo and will take you a while with that much honey. You're going to test the limits of your yeast there!

Hang on Springer, I think we're missing something here,
Apologies, you are quite right M, I was a bit confused, I am most of the time, I thought Bora's "cyser" was a corruption of how you say Cider when you've had a few. :lol: I have never heard the term, simple boy me, but just done a google and now I'm wiser ;)
Being a bee man, it could be, ( lots of beeees here :?) an interesting way of using honey ? Think I might prefer to sell the honey and buy some hops and malt but, keep us posted Bora.

Hi Boracay,

I've made an excellent cyser similar to the method you've cited... worked really well, didn't use a campden tablet, longer you leave it the better it gets.... chilled in a shot glass, there's a few friends of mine who could testify to the power of it! :grin:

chilled in a shot glass, there's a few friends of mine who could testify to the power of it! :grin:

When fermentation is finished you should rack it off the sediment and into another sterilised demijohn, then leave it somewhere cool for a couple of months, then repeat.

Your wardrobe is far too warm, try to find somewhere around 20C.

If you need to pour any more out to prevent overflowing, don't pour it away, sterilise a small bottle and pour it into that, fit an airlock or plug it with cotton wool, then when fermentation slows down you can tip it back in.

I made cyser years ago. It consisted of 9 pounds of mixed windfall apples,washed and crushed, some white grape concentrate (9 oz), 1/2 teaspoon citric acid and 1/4 teaspoon tannin and a kilo of honey. pectic enzyme, burgundy yeast and nutrient and water to bring it to 1 gallon.
It was a dry wine, rather than a sweet honey cider. The honey was quite expensive.

Latest posts

Back