Damn, I broke one.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulCa

Regular.
Reaction score
22 litres of Big Belfast Blonde ale. Meant to be in the fermenter 2 weeks, but got distracted by other things and it ended up being well over a month. Went to rack it into the keg and found it has a slight pellicle on the top and an odd solventy sweet smell.

Put it in the keg, 40PSI and dropped it down to 8*C overnight. PSI dropped 5, so I pulled a pint.

Emm. I can generally struggle through an off flavour here and there, but this one, I left it undrunk. I'm going to let it settle and properly carbonate, but I think it's for the drain.

The flavour is weird, there is a solventy smell/flavour, sweet, like paint, not quite as strong as marker pens, acetone or meths, more paint, plasticy. Then it has an odd after taste that's a bit peppery with even a hint of spice burn on the tounge. Neither very nice in a beer, IMHO.

Maybe when it settles down in the keg it might be drinkable. No holding much hope.

Pellicle suggests oxygen presence and anaerobic bacteria, which suggests opening the fermentor to take a look after CO2 production has ended, is a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back