dandelion wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have recently made 4 gallons of dandelion wine, i went out yesterday and picked LOADS!, heres my recipe

24 pints dandelion heads
1 lb sultanas or raisins (i used raisins)
2.5 lb sugar
2 campden tablets
4 tsp citric acid
1 tsp tannin
1 litre of grape juice
water

Here's the ingredients:
dandelions009.jpg

I then washed the flowers to get rid of debris, flies etc

dandelions010.jpg

Heres the bucket:

dandelions011-1.jpg

Then i measured out the sugar

dandelions013.jpg

After this i put them in a bucket

dandelions012-1.jpg

Then after all the ingredients were in, into the brewing corner it went!

dandelions014-1.jpg

And after my arm being twisted by MEB, i had a beer with my ham and mustard on home made bread sandwich!!

dandelions015.jpg

Will keep posting on progress of this wine, its a first for me as well!!!

I like how I get blamed for everyone else's drinking problems :lol:

Hi, I just purchased loads of books from the 1950's etc about making flower/natural homebrew from wild ingredients. They all say when making flower wines not to wash the flower heads just to shake them to get the insects out etc. The flowers only have delecate flavour so washing then initially will remove a lot of this flavour. Not tried a batch myself though so who knows, thought it may help next time round. I hope the brew works out ok let me know as I am hoping to do one in the next couple of weeks.

hi dave, tbh, i gave them a slight rinsing, there was a load of insects, and some still made it through, smells very floral at moment, give it a go mate, nows the time, loads of flowers kn ocking about!!

Plus, how long would it take to shake every flower!!!
People would talk since ya right arm would get bigger! :party:

Well as we seemed to have quite a few dandelions on Sunday just before I gave our lawn its first trim of the year, I thought I'd give this a go too. Our jungle didn't yield enough for a gallon but I found plenty more nearby.

I didn't wash the flower heads, but only picked well away from roads and where I'm pretty sure would have been dog free.

Following CJJB's recipe (after a fashion), I used a gallon of flower heads (approx. 800g), poured over 6 pints of boiling water and left it to steep for 2 days.

Back into the pot today, together with zest of 1 orange & 2 lemons plus 3lbs sugar, brought to the boil and simmered for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, juice of orange & lemons into bucket plus 1 litre white grape juice (yes, I know I mix my units).

Now I can see that this is ok ....

PB09041403.jpg

..... but are you seriously expecting me to believe I can get something drinkable after adding this?

PB09041402.jpg

Citric + tannin + nutrient + yeast will be added when it has cooled, and then strained into a DJ after 3 days.

the wine has stopped fermenting, and i tasted it, and it don't taste very alcoholic at all, i tried putting in a sugar solution and yeast, but its doing nothing to start!
Any ideas!?

falafael said:
the wine has stopped fermenting, and i tasted it, and it don't taste very alcoholic at all
You only said 2.5lbs sugar plus the raisins, I assume that was per gallon, but your photos suggest otherwise.

What was your Original Gravity?

Mine's been going like the clappers, down from 1.105 to 1.020 (already 11.5% abv) in just 12 days, and still bubbling away fairly briskly. I have absolutely no desire to taste it yet though.

forgot, but i tasted it about 2-3 weeks ago i think, and it was bloody disgusting!! lol, i think imust of left a few little stalks on!!
God that taste is really bad!!

maybe do another next year!!

Well mine's down to 1.002, bubbles still rising gently, not ready for racking yet but tastes like it should be alright.

Maybe you picked yours in a dog walking field?

falafael said:
at least yours is still going!!
Keep us aprised mate!
Well seeing as you asked, it finished fermenting and dropped a good centimetre of sediment but has been showing no signs of clearing, still rather turbid, so on Sunday I racked to a fresh DJ, added a campden tab, half a tsp of sorbate and a capful of Harris 'Vinclear' finings.

Bish-bosh, within 48 hrs, job's a good'un. I will probably bottle it in the next couple of weeks.
It's gone right out to .992 to I will back-sweeten slightly.

PB09061101.jpg

TBH, no-one was more surprised than me, and it tastes ok too.

Falafael: never ever chuck one away unless it's turned to vinegar, time works wonders.

DSC_1461.jpg

This is my attempt, its slightly cloudy because I've just moved it and disturbed the lee's :( will be racking tommorrow when settled and im also supprised too, it smells quite ok! will taste whist racking!

Back