Dark Farm Mini Keg and C02 dispenser - 15% Discount

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I was after a 5ltr keg with the trimmings, and another 5ltr keg.

I'll wait till next week when you have more in stock.

Also, does the 5ltr keg and CO2 dispenser come with a tap, or is that an add-on?

Yes the 5L keg with C02 dispenser comes with tap.

If you are like me and have yet to purchase a dedicated fridge for your lovely home brew, and have to share your beer fridge with the dinner, knowing how much space you'll need is important. Below are the dimensions of our mini keg - all you have to do is decide what to take out of the fridge!

Don't forget to send in your pictures - we would love to see the mini kegs in action.

keg-sizes.fw_.png

A sneak peak of our new 5L mini keg with flow control and ice blankets / jackets - pre order now.

image2.jpg

1st kegging day tomorrow so I'm just getting get things ready and have a question about the tap set ups.

Are the pictures below (with the tap deconstructed) accurate? Am I putting them together correctly?

IMG_20180728_192608438_LL.jpg
IMG_20180728_192127302_LL.jpg

Not sure what the top photograph is, but the bottom one looks okay.

I haven't fitted the little plastic gizmo to my Tap yet as I only pressurise to 10psi and I've not had too much foaming.

However, Plan B is to install it for the next couple of batches to see if it makes a significant difference. :thumb:

PS

One thing I discovered is that the Tap will leak beer if the handle isn't pushed backwards when I start the pressurisation. The next time I dismantle it I will try to remember to fit a temporary elastic band to hold the Tap handle back.

However, Sod's Law says that if I forget to fit the elastic band I will also forget to push the Tap handle backwards and finish up with wet feet, or ...

... if I remember to fit the elastic band I will also remember to push the Tap handle backwards.

Last edited:
Hi Dutto, the top photo is the flow control tap, completely different from the normal tap (bottom pic).

The flow control tap has some kind of mechanism so it closes itself. I actually wondered if the other tap was faulty as it needs to be manually closed. From your reply, I'm guessing that's the way they're built .

Last edited:
On mine, it's the pressure in the Growler that keeps the Tap closed.

It doesn't take a great deal of pressure to keep it closed and so far it hasn't leaked a drop when under pressure.

However, after two sets of wet feet I am learning to hold the Tap closed before starting pressurisation! :laugh8:

Are the pictures below (with the tap deconstructed) accurate? Am I putting them together correctly?
Your pic of the flow control tap arrangement looks correct. You can pick-and-choose which of the 2 plastic and 1 rubber washers you fit based on how thick your mounting fascia is. None of them are actually necessary for correct tap operation. The red nylon washer is your liquid seal. Take care of it :) The metal screw collar at the back presses it into place. I have found that hand-tight is enough.

When not serving, raise the flow-control lever to the top (fully off) and it should stop any dripping. I serve by pulling the tap lever forward (on) and use only the flow control lever to regulate the beer/foam production.

When cleaning the tap after a keg is finished you can unscrew the fat gnurled metal washer (pictured by you just left of the soft black washer) to soak the innards. No small parts will jump out and get lost so no need to worry about that. You also get to see how the flow-control actually works. It's a quite clever mechanism designed to minimise foaming.

Cheers folks. Keg now filled but very slowly losing pressure. Hopefully a wee tighten here or there will sort it. Sprayed all connections with starsan but no visible leaks

Cheers folks. Keg now filled but very slowly losing pressure. Hopefully a wee tighten here or there will sort it. Sprayed all connections with starsan but no visible leaks
If the gas is disconnected or switched off then pressure will fall quite quickly as CO2 dissolves into the beer. The gas needs to be switched on and the pressure set to the desired carb level for the temperature of the keg and left for about a week.

If the gas is disconnected or switched off then pressure will fall quite quickly as CO2 dissolves into the beer. The gas needs to be switched on and the pressure set to the desired carb level for the temperature of the keg and left for about a week.
Cheers Foxbat, it has settled, and I've left the gas on.

It all seemed to go smoothly, which is not what I was expecting. Proof will be in the pudding come next Sunday.

A quicker and more enjoyable process than bottling, that's for sure

Cheers Foxbat, it has settled, and I've left the gas on.

It all seemed to go smoothly, which is not what I was expecting. Proof will be in the pudding come next Sunday.

A quicker and more enjoyable process than bottling, that's for sure

Both setups look correct! good luck with your first batch. It is possible to tighten the taps using the screw below the handle - this does help with drips. Would love to see a picture of the results!

Well after reading these forums for quite a while recently I'm getting involved to say: this setup looks excellent! Although I got through bottling my first brew in a while today (Muntons Imperial Stout, smells great) all fine, this looks like a so much easier and controllable approach!
Need/want/need/want

Latest posts

Back