Dark Ruby Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Peasie

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

My most liked brew by family & friends is the Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild recipe from Graham wheelers Book.
I have been looking to personalise a bit and have come up with this.
Added the wheat for head retention.
I have replaced some of the crystal with Brown Malt.
Can I up the brown or will the flavour be too dominant?.
Your comments please :thumb:

MAP & GAP DARK RUBY MILD
Date:
Gyle Number:
Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 11 lbs. 11.1 oz 5310 grams 78.5%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 1 lbs. 9.7 oz 730 grams 10.8%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 0 lbs. 15.9 oz 450 grams 6.7%
Brown Malt 150 EBC 0 lbs. 9.5 oz 270 grams 4%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Fuggle Whole 4.9 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 1.0 oz 28 grams 41%
Whitbread Golding Whole 6.4 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 0.8 oz 24 grams 46%
Fuggle Whole 4.9 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.7 oz 19 grams 13%

Final Volume: 25 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol Content: 5.9% ABV
Total Liquor: 39 Litres
Mash Liquor: 16.9 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 30 EBU
Colour: 49 EBC

I haven't got the experience to comment on your question, but I have one for you:

What yeast are you intending on using, like you I have the Wheeler book and you'll know there are no specified yeasts.

I have been using Safale-04 and US05, and I did the Flowers original from the book with Brewlabs Thames Valley II yeast slant (this was my AG#1)

I've read good reviews of the Dark Ruby Mild, so was interested in what yeast you'd used previously, as I'd like a crack at it myself.

Guy
I have always used Nottingham for this and it is a beautiful recipe, but I have got a couple of packs of the Mauribrew ale yeast (because Nottingham is now really expensive) and will try one of those.Only ever used one wyeast smack pack before and that was for a wheat beer, sonot sure about the slant.

Wendy
You do have a good point, but i'm gonna try anyway :cheers:

Replace some of the crystal (sat 10/15grams) with extra dark crystal just to give it an extra ruby huge. Try using different hops to give it a little something different.

Couldn't talk for brown malt, but I used 500g of Amber Malt in a light ale and it was still good, and they're quite similar. Only darker sort of ale I've ever made is a christmas one that's still in the fermenter, so no experience with them really - but it seemed to be safe enough :)

Back