dave_77 Brewdays- 2023 and beyond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed. I had a horror show a month or two back: blocked pump, enforced no chill, forgot to plug the fridge into the inkbird, dropped an unsanitised spoon in when pitching yeast... got away with it all!

80% of predicted fermentation done so time to dry hop and increase temp from 15.5c to 17c. Will up the temp further at the end to 19c.
100g El Dorado, 60g Comet and 40g Columbus
IMG_20230204_132324.jpg

Ok so after my little brain fog moment of adding a unsanitised hop bag in the whirlpool at 50c in error I thought I better check if the Cold IPA
IMG_20230210_161100.jpg
was rancid before kegging it this weekend.
Ok so far... Columbus and Citra, El Dorado not coming through as much. Dosed it with gelatine this evening,so hopefully keg it on Sunday with a hoppy Belgian pale planned.

Kegged the Cold IPA today..not a particularly successful brew from start to finish. Efficiency was down, attenuation a couple of points lower than normal which means it's 1% lower Abv than planned 🤷🏽 at 5.6%. It may benefit that the attenuation was lower as it may help balance the bitterness as it was hopped for a higher starting gravity that I missed. See how it tastes in a couple of weeks.

Brew night ..planning to watch the super bowl 🏈 at 1130pm so I thought I would brew this evening so I don't get dosey on the sofa before it starts.

Brewing another hoppy Belgian pale, this time hopped with Kazbek & Celia. Changed the yeast on this one also, going with 50% fermentis S-33 & 50% CML Kentucky common to help with attenuation and mellow the S-33 character
IMG_20230212_194722.jpg

Update on the Cold IPA that I made a school boy error using unsanitised hop bag in the whirlpool..
Beer looks the part and I'm enjoying the body of the beer. I'm not too sure if there is a faint off flavour at the back end. Took to Homebrew club and people didn't agree so maybe it's just me. Doesn't feel hoppy enough.. something I would brew again.
IMG_20230222_205924.jpg

Kegged my latest Hoppy Belgian Pale..my quest to brew something similar to Taras Boulba.
This one I tried a different yeast combo 50/50( S33 and CML common yeast).
S33 is meant to have mild esters and I use common yeast to mellow the first yeast character and help with attenuation . Sample on kegging seems promising. Finished at 1.011 for 4.7% same as TB.
I tasted TB recently and I felt the bitterness lingered nicely, my last attempt I thought it was bitter upfront and then fell away quickly. My previous batch I just used Magnum for bittering, this time used Magnum for the majority of the IBU at 60 mins and then added Brewers Gold at 45 mins for the rest of the target IBU . Brewers Gold is used by De Ranke in XX Bitter, and it has a high cohumulone level for medium alpha hop so thought might help with the feel of the bitterness.
IMG_20230227_212358.jpg

https://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html
They share a recipe for Taras, they are using a bier de garde yeast. I am currently brewing a bier de garde using WLP 073. I might try to brew Tara's next
Is the yeast your using the same version from white labs? If so be interested to see what esters it produces in a pale beer. I wouldn't have thought it was a diastaticus yeast but that one has a lower attenuation range.
The hops are interesting, Tettnanger I was reading that there is a small family farm that De la Senne, De Ranke & Birrificio Italiano get their Tettnanger hops from and they are more lemon citrus than that hop from other farms🤔🕵🏼‍♂️
Never tried it with Tettnanger.. although not likely to find that farms hops as those three brewery's probably take the lot each harvest.

American pale keg kicked last night so back down to 3 beers ( one is still conditioning). Best get another beer in the fermenter.
Brewed while working this morning, American Amber hopped with Nectaron & Pacific Jade.

Good brew day although sparge was very slow which helped with efficiency.. couple of points over after adding a couple of litres of RO. SG 1.057. using CML Clipper.

https://share.brewfather.app/yOtwfx2ugX1y43
IMG_20230301_092058.jpg
IMG_20230301_101920.jpg
IMG_20230301_135348.jpg
IMG_20230301_145157.jpg

I'm hoping for a really clear American Amber, something that @Alastair70 would be proud of so I have hit it with gelatine today and dropped temp down to 2.5c before kegging in a couple of days. This seemed to work on the Cold IPA so fingers crossed this will clear up as well.

I'm hoping for a really clear American Amber, something that @Alastair70 would be proud of so I have hit it with gelatine today and dropped temp down to 2.5c before kegging in a couple of days. This seemed to work on the Cold IPA so fingers crossed this will clear up as well.
That’s pretty much what I do, 2-3 day cold crash and gelatin 24hrs before packaging. Can’t wait to see the photos😀

Another midweek brew day today.
Brewed a Golden ale, first time using Endeavour hops on this brew.
So malts were Crisp clear choice pale
Bestmalz Pils, Wheat Malt. Hops will be Brewers Gold & Endeavour in the Whirlpool, with Uk Cascade and Endeavour dry hop. Using a common yeast for hopefully a clean crisp hoppy golden ale.
IMG_20230315_105817.jpg
IMG_20230315_131537.jpg

Hit all the numbers with no issues .

https://share.brewfather.app/8dZ3CE4WZuqFGT

Latest posts

Back