Decided To Give Up homebrewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sim12

Reaction score
ive decided to give up homebrewing been doing it for about 4 years now what started out as a hobby turned into an obsession make as much beer as i could then drink as much as i could stupid i know then i had some major problems in my life and turned to the booze thought the beer was the answer noooo
nearly cost me my wife and my son so ive decided to give up homebrewing for good i enjoyed every minute of it but ive got to think of myself and my family i came close to losing everything
so i made the decision to quit its hard but the right decision for me
im that serious im even getting rid of all my homebrew equipment
ill just find another hobby i got to say i feel so much better in myself for doing this
i didnt like myself when id had a drink

Well done for having the courage to admit there was a problem.
Are you going to have to stop drinking or just keep it to a sensible level?

im giving up drinking for good i didnt like the person i became my own fault i know but its the best thing for me to do
it took alot for me to admit to myself i had a problem but now i have done i feel so much better about myself if that makes any sense

I echo the above comments, good on you. Well done for recognising, admitting and dealing with the problem :thumb:

thank you guys for your support on the upside of it it gives me back my shed lol :clap:
once i get rid off all my homebrew equipment

It takes a big and brave man to admit when he has let something takeover.

Doing what's best for everyone involve isn't always easy but well done for fronting up.
If I'm half as courageous when I have a big decision to make I will be a happy man. :thumb:

Good for you. Your family is the only important thing. Beer is just a liquid which makes you think that it is the solution, but it's really not. As others have said, I'll be happy if I have your courage when facing such difficulties.

:hat:

As others have said family is the most important thing. Good on you for admitting their is a problem.

Maybe with the proceeds of the sale of the equipment, depending how much you get, buy your wife something nice with it or even go away somewhere with it?

ryanshelton said:
Maybe with the proceeds of the sale of the equipment, depending how much you get, buy your wife something nice with it or even go away somewhere with it?

That's an excellent idea.

Well done, family are far more important than anything else in this life, kids need to be nurtured and engaged. What you have done is give your son a strong role model, someone who can admit to their shortcomings. :hat: :hat:

You have made a very brave decision, one that your wife and son should be proud of. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done on stopping before it was impossible to maintain your relationship.
I'm sure you're aware that alcohol is not normally the root cause of a problem but accentuates any personality traits and abstaining gives you the environment to address the negative ones.

Best wishes :thumb:

:hat:

While our hobby is a very rewarding one, the ability to produce our own potion better and cheaper than the big companies is truly a gift, it comes with it's demons - the ability to produce our own potion better and cheaper than the big companies.

It takes a big man to face his demons and a bigger one still to tackle them.

Don't "just give up". Instead replace your brewing and beer with something else that doesn't come with demons incompatible with your own ones, and if you've felt that your brewing and beer had a negative impact on you and yours, try to replace it with something that will have a positive impact, something that includes them.

Again, hats off to you. Head up, chest out. You ARE that big man! :hat: :clap: :clap:

Respect.

I hope I never have to make that decision, I enjoy a pint or 4 but can go without for a couple of weeks when work gets in the way :)

If you are an obsessive that needs a hobby, I can commned 'real' shaving, see a few posts by Jeltz, myself and others on here. The beauty of 'real' shaving is it makes you feel good about yourself all day, instead of leaving you mildly depressed :)

Think positive
At least with only 4 posts under your belt, you didn't **** away too much time on here :thumb: :cheers:

TRXnMe said:
Respect.

I hope I never have to make that decision, I enjoy a pint or 4 but can go without for a couple of weeks when work gets in the way :)

If you are an obsessive that needs a hobby, I can commned 'real' shaving, see a few posts by Jeltz, myself and others on here. The beauty of 'real' shaving is it makes you feel good about yourself all day, instead of leaving you mildly depressed :)

This - it is a hobby as well as a daily necessity, and the different razors, blades, creams etc allow that level of experimentation crucial in any good hobby.

And it doesn't have to cost a fortune either - a reasonable razor/brush/blades/soap setup should cost easily less than £30.

Congrats to you Sir - as others have said, it takes huge courage to grab hold of your demons and kick 'em in the rear.

Latest posts

Back