Degassing in DJ with spoon....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirstin

Reaction score
Hi guys - could really do with some help here.

Just at the stage where I need to rack my first 2 wines brewed in a DJ.

I've tried shaking with hand over the top, and got very splattered so don't want to continue down that route any further...

So now I'm on the spoon - seems to be taking ages though - am I doing it right? I swirl the handle of a long spoon around the bottom of the DJ until all the froth is going in one direction, then I change the swirl direction, which seems to loosen the CO2.

Seems to be a bit of a big job though.

Any tips for me to do this better without getting a wine whip? I really don't fancy getting my drill out - it's filthy for one and can't have none of that in my brew :sick:

If I'm doing it ok that's good too, would just be good to have some pointers and know that I am not introducing O2 rather than releasing CO2 lol.

;)

Three options by me, 1 - get a solid bung and do the shaking trick again, much less mess than with your hand. 2 - buy one of those drill attachments that do it for you, 3 - persist as you are.

Hi, I saw a you tube video and made a degassing whip from an old plastic coat hanger. Stuck it in my drill and away it went, zero elbow grease and very quick. works like a charm and only cost me the earache of my other half when she caught me melting a coat hanger over the gas hob. Ah well, no such thing as a free lunch!!!

Seriously? A coat-hanger??? I'll work on getting my Dad to make one for my next DJ, providing drill is not too filthy lol... Just got my first proper WOW on so will look forward to coat-hanger whip and 40p/bottle tipple with great anticipation :D

Ta very muchly folks :hat:

If you cut the long straight part leaving a bit of the sharp bend then put in boiling water to soften the plastic you can bend it to shape. Just put a wiggle in if using on a glass 1 gall DJ.

I am going to try the coat hanger trick. I made a degassing tool out of a length of 10mm plastic tube, drilled a few holes in it and threaded strimmer cable through it, worked a treat.

Latest posts

Back