Degassing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekka

Reaction score
Question 1. When fermenting has finished at what stage is it best to degas? before adding the first sachet or after?
Question 2. When i degas is it ok to stir up the yeast in the bottom or should i try not to disturb it?

Just my last 3 batches have gone down the sink and the instructions on the kit are not very clear.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tekka, rack it to a clean demijohn before stabilise degas finings.As chippy says, why you binned the other kits, they would have settled and cleared over time I would of thought.

Thanks for the replies.
1 batch never fermented properly ( my fault )
1 batch Had a bitter taste ( no idea why)
1 batch would not clear after 3 weeks, even using quick clear and had an eggy smell. this batch still had a lot of gas present even though i used the wand sereral times hence the question what stage should i degas.

This solomon grundy im trying the instructions when to degas are confusing, its fully fermented so im about to add the finings stabilizer ect. I have a degas wand chippy ( home made coat hanger).

So just to clear it up, Degas, stabilizer then finings?

Hi, I think in theory you need to know the fermentation has stopped so probably its stabilise first, then degas, then finings, but rack to sanitised dj to leave the sediment behind so no risk of stirring it up.Hope it works this time acheers.

Solomon Grundy Instructions for degassing. I don't think they are confusing.

What to do at the end of fermentation.

You must have a hydrometer if you want to make your wine in 7 days. If the hydrometer reads below 995 then add the sachet of STABILISER (this will give off gas -do not inhale). If making the Medium Sweet White table wine you should also add the SWEETENER sachet. Shake vigorously several times over the next two hours. This will remove all the carbon dioxide gases which are present in the wine. This should be done for several minutes at a time. Once degassed add the ADD BACK sachet. Shake well. Now add the KIESELSOL sachet and shake for 10 seconds then leave to stand for 12-24 hours.

I found shaking when you first start is very hit and miss as it's hard to tell when it's done and as we know if its not done properly clearing can take ages.

I found the best way of degassing was to siphon it from one container to another one about 10 times. The clearing agents worked wonders after that. The shaking method isn't too great.

Apologies, its not the solmon grundy kit ( just bottled that ) its the Magnum kit thats confusing. one part its saying rack off if possible, then add stabiliser then remove the co2, then at the end it says do not rack off or try to remove co2 before adding fining B?

so, shall i add stabiliser then use my wand to degass or degass after finings A have gone in???

See the photo for clarification.

Attachments

• wine kit.jpg
    wine kit.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 197
Page 2 of those instructions doesn't follow on from page 1. Strange.
Anyway I'd rack off and degass before adding the finings.

@Tekka - Every kit i have made has instructed me to make it from start to finish in the original DJ or FV (no racking to second) some suggest adding stabiliser then degas some suggest degas then add stabiliser i honestly don't think it matters which way you do it but definitely do it before adding finings.

Well just drawn a sample and there is still a few floaters present. Not sure if to use some quick clear, or just leave it a few more days....

Latest posts

Back