demijohn problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosh

Reaction score
just bought 6 brand new demijohns youngs unfortunatly 2 have cracked and the top fell off another is there anyother companies that i can buy new decent quality ones from :?:

I've seen a couple of other threads on the same sort of subject and I really don't understand the problem.

Glass demijohns don't like being tapped together, thermal shock or pressure. Avoid those three, treat them with respect and they should last you a lifetime.

Have you tried 5 litre mineral water bottles?

Yes, I meant plastic, and I agree, there's something just not quite ‘right’ about it, but it will withstand far more abuse and I was merely pointing out the option.

Sorry to state the obvious, but take good care of them, I have got some demijohns that are like nearly 30 years old, and are as good as new, i inheroted them from my crazy wine making grandad, who inadvertently passed on the bug too lol.

I only use plastic for ageing, but I have only ever lost 1 glass one and that was from carrying too many at once and they banged together.

i have loads of old dj's that are fine it just seems to be the youngs ones.
the top snapped off one when iwas holding it, i was just left with the handle in my hand

I have to say that I don't like the look of the new ones with a single lug, and I certainly don't like the prices, so this is not a problem which I have encountered. Most of my DJs were bought new, but that would still make the youngest at least 25 years old.

I've always gotten mine from 'down the dump'. I've never had any problems with the glass ones ever. I've also got a couple of brown glass ones too which must be 15yrs old (so I've been told), and have had God knows how many previous owners.

Weird.

Back