Derogatory term

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The world has gone bonkers !
Yank seems fine to me !
As does me being English and being called British . I’m both !

I’ve greater problems in life to solve !

Like how many stainless steel spoons to put in my hop bag for the next dry hop I do to make sure it sinks !

Or is it too cold to bbq my chuck later !?

Hang on ... can I call a chicken a chuck !! ?

@davidfromUS I don't think anyone here uses the word Yank in a derogatory way.

Many years ago we were trying to decide where to go for our works Christmas dinner and one person suggested we go for a Chinky (a term many of us use here but its not meant in a derogatory way) we agreed then the same day the lad who suggested it was hauled into the office as one of the workers who was part Chinese had put a grievance in against the bloke that used the word Chinky, the rest of us couldn't believe she did it as it was so out of character.

Reminds me of a story a rabbi told me. He was walking down the street when a car pulled up next to him, a guy inside wound down the window and shouted "JEW!" and the car sped off into the distance. The rabbi thought to himself "He's right, I am Jewish!" and walked off happy that he was recognised to be Jewish.

I don't see Yank as a derogatory term to describe an American, I have heard plenty of Yank's call Mexican's "Beana's" whilst I was living in Arizona, this I believe is a derogatory name and based on the fact that they eat refried beans I beleive.

To be fair I get called lots of things & would say a good percentage is derogatory, but it water off a ducks back to me.

I have heard plenty of Yank's call Mexican's "Beana's" whilst I was living in Arizona, this I believe is a derogatory name and based on the fact that they eat refried beans I beleive.

You would have to be very thin skinned to be offended by that. :laugh8:

It's all down to intent, surely? When I refer to my American cousins as "the Yanks" clearly I don't mean it in a derogatory way. If I referred to them as "f@cking Yanks" I think it's clear there's derogatory intent.

For those interested, see post #12

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/airlock-or-not.1668/

I'm part of the group "The Home Brew Network" on Facebook, where there are a huge proportion of American members.

From what I see daily over there, the American home brewers seem to favour a blow off tube coupled with a brimful FV. Whereas over here, it seems more commonplace to utilise an FV with sufficient head-space and an "S" type airlock.

Hence the reason "it's a Yank thing" rings true on a general level.

My choice to call an American a "Yank" has about as much malice behind it as when I call a potato a tattie. Both very controversial and easily misinterpreted synonyms...

@Ghillie I thought i was having a déjà vu moment when i read your post above.

gggg.jpg

As I wrote, I was not offended. Not at all. Truly, I wanted to hear what the proper group (UK, more or less) knows.
I appreciate the wide variety of responses here which far outweighs the value of Google. I only got through a handful so far but am looking forward to reading the rest later.

Someone on this forum used the word "Yank" as in "...it's a Yank thing..." to describe people from the US. I wasn't offended or anything but there seemed to be an undertone--not sure why. So, I delved in and tried to decipher what was what. I didn't get a real feel for it; basically, my two minute Google hunt for an answer was inconclusive.
So, I'm asking anyone who's reading this, is "Yank" negative when a person from the UK says it? The only example I know of, that may be related, is when someone from the Southern US says it and then it isn't technically a nice way to describe someone from the North.
I try to be respectful. I only know (think I know, at least) that referring to you fine people as "UK" is okay. On that note, I would also like to know if I called you all, "British" or "Brits" would that be acceptable? I'm not unintelligent but I also refuse to watch the news and like outlets.
As a fun aside, I had my wife, just this evening, clarify (including a beginner's geography lesson) for me how I should label someone of Hispanic origin ( which is the proper term and was way more complicated than I would have expected or preferred). Previously, I thought "Mexican" was okay. I had no malicious intent, just lack of information, I suppose.

Thank you, good people of the United Kingdom!

No different to calling us brits - limeys ?
Brits is short for british so that would be ok, however calling someone from pakistan a paki is not well received.

Or what was the bad guy called in back to the future

Back