Diane Abbott

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet if you write a letter to the newspaper saying that women who wear burkas look like pillar boxes or bank robbers, instead of getting accused of racism you get made party leader!!!
Equally Humza Yousaf goes on a ridiculous rant about most people in power in Scotland being white (a 96% white country) and gets made first minister 😂

Labour will struggle to win what should be the easiest GE win in a lifetime and it will be completely their own fault.

I think most Labour voters having seen those cringe worthy interviews above know she should have retired years ago and this will not make them vore for any other party.

I think most Labour voters having seen those cringe worthy interviews above know she should have retired years ago and this will not make them vore for any other party.
True but it might change how the swing voters cast their ballot. Diehard labour voters (as with diehard tories) are unlikely to change how they vote.

Why? She's given her opinion, an opinion based on observation and experience that white people with "points of difference" suffer prejudice, but not the continuous and unrelenting prejudice that black people suffer and she gives some evidence and arguments in support of her opinion. Whether her evidence or arguments are correct, I don't know. Some anonymous (within the context of the article cited) representative of one of these groups claims (again within the context of the article cited) not that her arguments are wrong or that she is mistaken or that his or her experience doesn't tally with Abbott's claimed experience of racism, but instead jumps straight into emotive language and says her letter is "disgraceful". What is disgraceful? The fact she's written it? Her opinion? The fact that she compares other groups' experiences to her own? What? They then badger Starmer to remove the whip. Which he does. Why?
I disagree with you here. The comments from the Jewish Labour Movement in the BBC article are spot on in my opinion and cover what needs to be said. She has lost the whip pending an enquiry. Rightly so. She ought to know a lot better.

Yet if you write a letter to the newspaper saying that women who wear burkas look like pillar boxes or bank robbers, instead of getting accused of racism you get made party leader!!!
And then Prime Minister.

True but it might change how the swing voters cast their ballot. Diehard labour voters (as with diehard tories) are unlikely to change how they vote.
A hell of a lot did last time. It's a question of how many of those return.

I disagree with you here. The comments from the Jewish Labour Movement in the BBC article are spot on in my opinion and cover what needs to be said. She has lost the whip pending an enquiry. Rightly so. She ought to know a lot better.

And then Prime Minister.
Then we'll have to agree to disagree. Having influential and unelected pressure groups decide who or who not represents their constituents in parliament is the death of democracy. Starmer is too weak for this job. Wait until the Reform Party gain a few seats in the next election, and they will, and see whether their leader withdraws the whip from what they'll have to say.
Not looking forward to that representation, but if we value democracy we're going have to put up with them.

Last edited:
I don't think a picture of a monkey dressed as a police officer was appropriate feel free to take it up with @THBF if you disagree.
Don't ban new bristol brewery chippy, their big stouts are amazing. wink...

I am pro-simian - remember a monkey went into space before humans did. And doesn't the term Monkey business refer to those simians who are running their own enterprises? 🤔

If people are going to vote on individual misdemeanours, or foolish statements-whether labour or conservative. Instead of voting on overall performance of a party then there will be rough times ahead. We voted in a labour government just shy of one year ago and already the economy is struggling. The state Labor government has got the state into so much debt that infrastructure projects are being put on ice, the only good thing that Labor is good at is borrowing money. And it falls onto Joe Public to pay it back.

Diane Abbot is, by far, the most racially abused MP in the house. She has received far more hate mail than any other MP, much of it overtly racist. She has received death threats. Her response to a letter, sent to the Guardian, was poorly worded and that's something she herself has accepted and apologised for, but anyone with a grain of sense can see the point she is making. What we can be certain of, is that her intention was not racist.

Yes, but that doesn't stop the right-wing press jumping all over it and fanning the flames of hate
Nor does it stop the right-wing of the Labour party, in conjunction with the right-wing Board of Deputies expressing faux outrage and attempting to silence and eject a left-wing MP who is a prominent supporter of Palestinian rights. There are racists at play here, but Diane Abbot is not one of them.

Nor does it stop the right-wing of the Labour party, in conjunction with the right-wing Board of Deputies expressing faux outrage and attempting to silence and eject a left-wing MP who is a prominent supporter of Palestinian rights. There are racists at play here, but Diane Abbot is not one of them.
Spot on.

Back