The BBC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The majority of 5 live listeners are saying it's not the same without them and they want them back, do you think the BBC will see the viewing figures as a good thing and get rid of Linaker, Shearer and the rest altogether I think not, they will be back in their seats next weekend.
In which case it will be a win for BBC. Lineker and Co will apologise, agree to new terms and be back on the screens. The kids will go back to viewing highlights on YouTube and viewing figures on MoTd will be down.

Seems like I am a good fisherman.

Oh by the way. I do t agree with the possible new policy from the government. What I am commenting on his Lineker breaching his agreement with the BBC, he would have known about it. A lot of stories confirming it was a breach. I also don't get why others are getting involved and refusing to work, sack them. Deal with Gary sensibly and move on. Ps, it doesn't bother me slightly who the BBC boss gives his money to.

Different terms of contract?
I haven't a clue what their contracts say but i am sure Sugars doesn't allow him freedom of speech to say whatever he wants as mentioned in this article.

The BBC, who remain impartial on political matters, have held talks with Lineker over his social media "responsibilities".

But it has since turned into a freedom of speech row after Lineker refused to delete the tweet – and other celebrities are now being drawn into it.

Wildlife presenter Chris Packham took to Twitter to give some “essential balance” on the argument and shared tweets from Lord Sugar – who he claimed was also a BBC employee - criticising transport union boss Mick Lynch over recent strike action.

In the tweets from December 2022, Lord Sugar blasts Lynch saying: “Hello Mick Lynch hope you are happy yourself bringing the country to its knees over Xmas.

“You don’t fool me waiting for the employers to come to table. You love the publicity. Your members would like to earn what you get. Why don’t you waive your salary.”

A follow-up tweet added:
“Mick Lynch loves the cameras. He got stitched up on @GMB today. Next thing he’ll be doing Strictly or appearing on Graham Norton. Anyone know how much he is paid.”

Showing his support for Lineker, Chris wrote alongside Lord Sugar’s tweets: “How about some essential balance? Just like Gary this bloke is sometimes employed by the BBC for his respected expertise. He too presents his views publicly.

“Just wondering if anyone in the government wants to retrospectively kick off about these tweets? Nah, don’t suppose so.”

Fans were quick to comment underneath, agreeing with Chris, and blasted the BBC for what appeared to be double standards.

One wrote: “100% this Chris. Suggest if the BBC want to gag presenters they need to sort out their freelancer agreements.

“You can’t on one hand tell Lineker to shut up but employ and pay freelancers/vile view peddlers like Farage to appear regularly on programs like QT. Absolute mess.”

But others pointed out that the BBC don’t actually own The Apprentice show Lord Sugar has hosted since 2005, so he isn’t directly employed by the Corporation.

One Twitter user explained: “Chris, MGM owns The Apprentice. They buy the show in I believe. Gary’s services are employed by the BBC and there lies the difference. Lord Sugar is not directly employed by the BBC.”

Another added: “I’m sorry Chris, it’s all very well you defending Lineker by quoting Sugar, but when you accuse the government of behaving like the Nazis in Germany you deserve everything you get and to use your words, it’s not ‘what we pay our license fee for!”

The Mirror has reached out to the BBC for further comment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/chris-packham-drags-lord-sugar-29423354

Last edited:
Everton have confirmed their support for Vinegar and said they will also not be appearing on MoTD from next season.

It would seem tweetery is bad and best left to those who don't care what people think, is it like twerking in public, as for who you give your money to is a personal matter, if you need to tweet and twerk to get attention that' s bad, a bit like telling your life story on book farce god what kind of world do we live in

Everton have confirmed their support for Vinegar and said they will also not be appearing on MoTD from next season.

Having just looked at the table it could be any 3 from 12 down -

hhhhure.JPG

The question has been asked several times would there have been such an uproar it Linaker had tweeted that the policy was good?
Of course not. Why on Earth would the Tories intervene in the BBC if someone was agreeing with them? 🤯

The BBC guidelines are that Linaker shouldn't comment on controversial topics to maintain its "impartiality".

But Garygate is itself controversial now.

So does this mean that Gary's latest comments about his own Tweets is itself in contravention of the guidelines?

From BBC news -

If you're just joining or or are in need of a catch-up, here's a quick summary of the deal BBC management and Gary Lineker struck to get the Match of the Day presenter back on the airwaves:

• Lineker will return to football coverage this weekend for the FA Cup quarter-final clash between Manchester City and Burnley
  • The BBC will launch an independent review of its social media guideline, although who will lead this review is yet to be revealed
  • It will place a particular focus on how the guidance applies to freelancers outside the corporation's news coverage, like Lineker
  • BBC director general Tim Davie has denied he took the presenter off air last week due to political pressure
  • He has apologised for a "difficult period" for staff, contributors, presenters and the audience, following mass-walkouts over the weekend disrupting most of the BBC's normal football coverage
  • The head of the BBC has also acknowledged "grey areas" in the current guidelines - introduced in 2020
  • Lineker has agreed to stick to the current guidelines while this review is carried out - but what this will mean in practice is not clear
  • The broadcaster has taken to Twitter to say he is "immeasurably proud" to work for the BBC and thanked people for their support over the last few days

‘I pity the person asked to review guidelines’ – former controller of BBC editorial policy​

Former controller of editorial policy at the BBC, Richard Ayre, says he “pities” whoever will be tasked with reviewing the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
Speaking to Radio 5 Live’s Adrian Chiles, he says it’s “true” there are “grey areas” in the BBC’s guidelines, but that he’s sure they were there “deliberately to give the BBC a degree of discretion”.
“I pity the independent expert who is going to be asked to sort all of this out,” he says, “if he or she doesn’t result in a new set of guidelines which have some flexibility, then I think it will be even more difficult to hold the line of impartiality.”
When asked about freedom of expression, Ayre says: “Nobody says that freedom of expression is an inalienable right that should apply to somebody whatever job they choose to take and whatever contractual commitments they may enter into."

Taking Lineker off air backfired horribly - ex-BBC executive​

Former head of BBC Sport and BBC TV News Roger Mosey has spoken out, describing the Lineker row as having "backfired horribly" on the BBC's senior management.
Mosey tells Adrian Chiles on Radio 5 Live that he has sympathy for the corporation's leaders in trying to ensure impartiality, but asking the Match of the Day presenter to "step aside was a very big move" and "unwise".
He adds that while many current and former BBC executives shared the view that Lineker's Tweet comparing the government's asylum policies to 1930s Germany was "against the guidelines", his comment's "weren't something you would normally take someone off air for".
Mosey says the problem with the situation was that it "looked like the BBC was giving into the government and Tory MPs" and therefore making the situation worse - even if this wasn't why Lineker was taken off air.
Quote Message: The problem is that if you get every BBC presenter, whether they’re news or not tweeting anything that comes into their head, in that case, you can see why there might be a problem about impartiality. That’s why it’s better if presenters are not getting stuck into current political issues." from Roger Mosey Former head of BBC Sport
The problem is that if you get every BBC presenter, whether they’re news or not tweeting anything that comes into their head, in that case, you can see why there might be a problem about impartiality. That’s why it’s better if presenters are not getting stuck into current political issues."
Roger MoseyFormer head of BBC Sport

Problem shelved, not solved - former controller of BBC editorial policy​

The deal to get Gary Lineker back on air is a "problem shelved for the time being" rather than a long-term solution, says Richard Ayre, who was once the controller of BBC editorial policy.
Ayre who was part of the former BBC Trust until 2016, tells BBC News that he's surprised by the agreement, adding that it looks like the corporation has backed down without Lineker "having apparently given any ground" other than welcoming the review into its social media guidelines.
Quote Message: So it's bound to look as though it's the BBC that's moved rather than both parties moving, which doesn't bode very well for a long term settlement."
So it's bound to look as though it's the BBC that's moved rather than both parties moving, which doesn't bode very well for a long term settlement."
Asked if the deal was a resolution or just kicking the can down the road, he says the situation is "not remotely a problem solved".
Quote Message: Gary will continue to hold his views. He says he will continue to abide by the BBC's guidelines until they're rewritten. But then, he was supposed to be abiding by the BBC guidelines last week when he tweeted what he tweeted. So watch this space, this story has a long way to run.
Gary will continue to hold his views. He says he will continue to abide by the BBC's guidelines until they're rewritten. But then, he was supposed to be abiding by the BBC guidelines last week when he tweeted what he tweeted. So watch this space, this story has a long way to run.

Taking Lineker off air backfired horribly - ex-BBC executive​

Former head of BBC Sport and BBC TV News Roger Mosey has spoken out, describing the Lineker row as having "backfired horribly" on the BBC's senior management.
So he's saying that being overly harsh on someone ends up backfiring and you end up in a worse position than before?

It's like the way the Treaty of Versailles was too harsh and backfired, leading to the situation in Germany in the 193...

If you are inferring nazi style behavior by someone, you should really leave the dust settle for 10 mins (actually make that 20) before you rush to your phone to .... tap. tap. tap. tweet. That applied to the ex POTUS as well and he didn't listen - shoot from the hip and be damned. I advocate the right to free speech and ask what happened to self censorship or reasonable restraint though?

I did formulate a social media policy in a previous job when it was just starting to be a thing, and that whilst in receipt of monies from the company, posts that could cause hurt to the company (loss of income, reputational damage etc.) would be subject to the appropriately mentioned disciplinary proceedings.

If a contractor was to tweet something similar the head of the department that engaged them would determine IF they should be allowed/denied further work.

its quite a while ago so i'm paraphrasing but it did save a lot of trouble compared to other similar companies who also had a %age of their income provided by government and thus had to remain neutral in many business aspects

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back