diferent sugars??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomaniac

Reaction score
just been wondering how much difference using different sugars makes... anyone got any thoughts.... such as white... brown... light muscovado/ dark muscovado... molasses.... agave syrup.... or even using black treacle or syrup..... does anyone know what flavours these would impart on a brew... just curious for doing some messing...

yup! white sugar is somewhat tasteless, brown/muscovado/molasses etc all add a molasses type taste, just in varying strengths. not sure about agave.

black treacle is often used in stouts and adds, well, treacle. golden syrup is used in a variety of brews, but to give you an idea, graham wheeler uses it as the only defining ingredient in his san miguel clone, so use that as a base of the flavour in your mind. honey adds a nice unique aftertaste, but can taste awful in higher quantities.

good luck :thumb:

Hi.

I only do kits but here's my experiences...

I've used treacle, honey and golden syrup in a few of my brews.

Treacle is OK but if you use too much it overwhelms the brew so at most keep treacle to half a tin.

Honey is fab in brews but NOT orange blossom honey - it gives you brew a horrible citrous aftertaste.

I used half sugar and half golden syrup in my last brew and it was delicious.

Hope this helps.

thanks lad.... im doing the coopers cerveza ( shoulda gone on days ago) i like the idea of adding the syrup to it,im using a kilo of beerkit enhancer, do u reckon i should leave out half of this and add syrup?.. or will i be ok adding all the enhancer and a small tin of syrup??

I'm posting to the thread because I've just got back from america where I had a gorgeous agave wheat beer (Breckenridge Brewery). The beer had a bit of sweetness and a light, almost citrus, slightly melon-like after-taste. I don't know if the beer had been back sweetened with the agave syrup, it had been fermented out or both.

I was so impressed I bought a couple of bottles of syrup in the supermarket and I'm going to give it a whirl.

Regarding the treacle, I made a strong bitter using half treacle and the smoky toffee notes from the treacle came through well without being overpowering.

AIUI, Golden Syrup is effectively a form of invert sugar (the sucrose has been split into glucose and fructose)

Commercial breweries prefer invert sugar over straight cane sugar as it gives a cleaner flavour according to GW.

Latest posts

Back