Difference in wine yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidger

Regular.
Reaction score
Currently looking at crossmyloof yeasts for supermarket wines.

Used youngs white, wilko yeast and crossmyloof all purpose for turbo ciders and sm wines.

Wondering if there would be much difference in flavour etc between red/rosé/white wine yeasts ?

I'm going to order 10 sachets and since i have plenty of cider I'm going to make a good stash of supermarket wine,
Probably mainly with red grape juice.

So any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Firstly, I don’t know anything about yeast lol.
But anyway, I made a few wines over summer with crossmyloof yeasts. My experience was that occasionally they would finish with a sort of sulphury smell to them. I read this could be due to strain on the yeast like too much of a chemical or not enough of another, or also because of temperature.
To be fair there were a few warm days I recall?

I switched to youngs all purpose white yeast a month or so ago and so far have not had the sulphur smell thing happen.

But anyway, I made a few wines over summer with crossmyloof yeasts. My experience was that occasionally they would finish with a sort of sulphury smell to them. I read this could be due to strain on the yeast like too much of a chemical or not enough of another, or also because of temperature.

I switched to youngs all purpose white yeast a month or so ago and so far have not had the sulphur smell thing happen.

I haven't properly tried anything since I started brewing again (apart from the lager kit i made/ half supped 😁)

Mostly made turbo cider, a couple of wine kits and leaving alone to mature .
I'm now concentrating on supermarket wine.
I have one going with crossmyloof all purpose and one with wilko.
The crossmyloof ones i notice take a while to get started.

Which crossmyloof did you use ?
Like i said I've used their all purpose but thinking of trying red or rosé for sm wines .

Cheers 🍻

I haven't properly tried anything since I started brewing again (apart from the lager kit i made/ half supped 😁)

Mostly made turbo cider, a couple of wine kits and leaving alone to mature .
I'm now concentrating on supermarket wine.
I have one going with crossmyloof all purpose and one with wilko.
The crossmyloof ones i notice take a while to get started.

Which crossmyloof did you use ?
Like i said I've used their all purpose but thinking of trying red or rosé for sm wines .

Cheers 🍻
I tried the all purpose one several times, and a couple times the mead one, and the Christmas pudding one, and the rhubarb one once as well.

ordered the xmas pudding, mead, red and white. think the xmas pudding will be going in a SJW apple with a bit of cinnamon.

Found this interesting about the sulphur smells.

https://blog.eckraus.com/sulfur-smell-in-fermenting-wine

I've just ordered ten packs of crossmyloof red wine yeast to try.
Tbh I didn't notice any sulphur smells with the 5 all purpose I've used so far.
👍

ordered the xmas pudding, mead, red and white. think the xmas pudding will be going in a SJW apple with a bit of cinnamon.

What do you expect to get out of the xmas pudding ?

Let me know how it turns out please.
I'm just thinking, my dad has a decent rhubarb patch
(not been picked for years)
next year I could try xmas pud and the rhubarb yeast with fresh rhubarb and compare.
👍

What do you expect to get out of the xmas pudding ?

Let me know how it turns out please.
I'm just thinking, my dad has a decent rhubarb patch
(not been picked for years)
next year I could try xmas pud and the rhubarb yeast with fresh rhubarb and compare.
👍
not terribly sure to be honest but got nothing to lose. usually use young's super so wanted to give something else a go.
will certainly update with the result. couple of weeks i'd imagine.
am fond of rhubarb but i'd have to get it from the supermarket frozen section if they have any.
edit:
seems like tinned rhubarb may be the way forward for me.

Last edited:
not terribly sure to be honest but got nothing to lose. usually use young's super so wanted to give something else a go.
will certainly update with the result. couple of weeks i'd imagine.
am fond of rhubarb but i'd have to get it from the supermarket frozen section if they have any.
edit:
seems like tinned rhubarb may be the way forward for me.

I haven't had rhubarb pie for years hence the patch not been touched.
I cleared it as it got overgrown after my mum passed away and there's some huge stalks.

It's too bitter for me and I need to put sugar on but would be interested to see how it fares making wine .

Just stumbled on you posting about the sulphur on another thread back in September.
Funny enough as I said I hadn't noticed any from crossmyloof but last night whilst adding final sweetener etc to a MYO strawberry and lime cider kit from the range there was a distinct eggy smell.. 🙄

Hopefully it will fade,
it'll be interesting comparing it to supermarket juice wines.

Latest posts

Back