differences between stout kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isolation123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have brewed the youngs stout kit before and it was brilliant, I was wondering what the difference is between the stout kits as surely the ingredients are the same or very similiar???

thanks

Isolation123

I'd be very interested to know the answer to this one isolation. Like yourself, I was so impressed with the Youngs stout kit that I haven't bothered with any other. My second attempt is bubbling away in the garage as I type. The Coopers kit gets rave reviews on other sites. Has anyone brewed both?

The EDME stout kit is great too ... It was one of my first attempts. It finished at xmas and it all went within two weeks , everyone in my family loved it.

I have just brought another kit,but wont be starting it until July.

THis time in gonna experiment a bit. 1/2 the kit as per instructions, the other 1/2 im gonna add a stick of liquorish wood (like you can still get at chemists) to see what the difference in taste will be.

Although i am no expert two tips i found work really well.........

put your water in a bucket and leave for 48 hrs to let the chlorine out ( i "found" two of those blue water butts - hold about 18 litres each, then tip the water into my bucket )
With the formentioned blue water butts i have run two 20 litres at the same time - only difference is i have used the kit yeast on one 20 litre, then brought a seperate yeast on the other. What i have found for all kits so far is that the brought yeast is always far superior than the yeast which comes with the kits - tastier, deeper flavours and stronger end percentage... well worth the extra £1.20 I have used muntons gold which gives good results.

I do love a stout, but have you tried any porter kits - ive done a burton bridge porter kit and i think if your a stout drinker you will like it. Tip make 36 pints instead of 40 and its spot on the same as the pint you get in the burton bridge pub (you can get the kit from matchless homebrew (see advertising link above)) Be warned its one of those drink one, drink 5 . It will be gone very quickly, and for the summer a great alternative to the heavier winter stouts. THe best kit i have ever brought...by far!!!

Cheers,

Bluejam15 :drink:

Latest posts

Back