The Range Red Wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve bought another 30 bottle red wine kit from the Range and will be starting it off in the next week or so. This will be the third time I’ve done this and I just wondered what the difference was between using either the advised 3.5kg of granulated sugar or using 4kg of dextrose sugar. I’m guessing that the latter would produce a drier wine (would it also be stronger) - I’ve only ever really used granulated for this kit, but would welcome any views please.

Brewing Sugar (Glucose/Dextrose) vs Sugar -

Brewing sugar otherwise known as Dextrose is quicker to dissolve than white sugar and 100% fermentable. It will also give you a cleaner fermentation. Use Dextrose/Glucose powder to produce a better quality brew.

Also, known as Dextrose Monohydrate. We supply our Brewing Sugar in robust 1-kilo bags which are suitable for brewing all types of beers & wines.

1710431382922.png

Theoretically dextrose (a.k.a. glucose) is the purest and easiest substrate for yeast to consume. Granulated sugar (sucrose) is a molecule of dextrose bonded to a molecule of fructose and requires the yeast to do an extra processing step to consume it. Somehow however :?:, sucrose is more effcient, so about 10% more dextrose is needed to do the same job as the sucrose.

In practice the dextrose should produce a very marginally better product, but granulated is much cheaper.

I’ve bought another 30 bottle red wine kit from the Range and will be starting it off in the next week or so. This will be the third time I’ve done this

We have made this kit many times and have one in the cupboard ready to start this weekend we use white sugar simply because its cheap and its easy to get hold of.

Latest posts

Back